Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Summary of recent information regarding the German army and its method

MartH

Prompted by Baz's excellent work I found this Clickty Click as per the title of this topic, a useful publication which an appreciation of German tactics in 1917. 6000 copies printed too.

Thanks, Mart. I can see that being very useful indeed. There is a similar publication that was republished by the IWM/Battery Press in the same series as the General Staff (Intelligence) "Vocabulary of German Military Terms and Abbreviations". I don't have a copy to hand, but will check at the first opportunity whether the text is the same – unless, of course, someone else gets there before me.

Thanks again to Baz for pointing the way to these wonderful online resources.

Mick

Have to agree with Mick, that one's a very interesting resource on how things were viewed by the GS Intelligence at GHQ in 1917, as evidenced right from the opening paragraph:

The general principles underlying the German defensive organisation in trench warfare vary in no way from our own. Such differences of practice as are apparent when, for instance, the trenches of the opposing forces shown on a trench map are compared, are mainly due to the greater amount of work which the enemy exacts from his troops.

It is quite a different publication to the one published by Battery Press and others. It is also very good!

Cheers,

Hendo