Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

who earned this medal bar?

gemini69

I have always thought that the medal bar hanging with my gt grandad''s south Africa and India medals was to do with those medals. A recent visitor to our house pointed out that the bar was from WWI not associated with the medals I had it displayed with (see attched jpg). My gt grandad served in the buffs from 1894 - 1906. I have his attestation papers, military history sheet and statement of the services of... paper. I have searched on ancestry and Nat Archives for any details that may have placed him in WWI but without knowing if he was back with the Buffs or not, it is a massive search - there are just too many instances of his name to check them all out. I will post his details here and if any listers have any words of wisdom, I will gratefully accept them :) Related to this post is another for Clemo Benjamin West, my gt grandad's brother who also served in WWI who may in fact be the owner of the bar!

Frederick James WEST born 1877 Borstal, Kent. 1903 - 1935, living in Greenwich, London. Served with the Buffs from 1894 - 1906 in India, South Africa and in England.

post-18102-1231295775.jpg

Haven't we already got a thread running about this medal bar?

Yes and if you read it you'll find that it was suggested that the topic be moved to this part of the forum

What are the details around the rim of the medals? I can't see him on the QSA/KSA rolls. Is it possibly F West 4689 - it sounds about right for an 1894 enlistment? If so, he was invalided home from the Punjab Frontier 1897-8 campaign and discharged to Army Reserve after the Boer War. He had clasps Paardeberg, Drifontein, Relief of Kimberley, Transvaal on his QSA and 1901 and 1902 on his KSA.

The only FJ West in The Buffs during WW1 died in March 1915

Mick

Yes and if you read it you'll find that it was suggested that the topic be moved to this part of the forum

So the suggestion wasn't followed then, eh? Because this looks like a new thread on the same subject, not a thread that's been moved from elsewhere.

Thanks for taking the time to provide a courteous response though.