Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New CWGC Commemoration

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database today – Tuesday 6th January.

Pte John William DEAN

25022 2nd Bn, Cheshire Regiment

Died 27.10.19 Age 36

Buried: Stockport (Willow Grove) Cemetery, Cheshire, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Pte DEAN was put forward on 27.11.08 on behalf of member, John Hartley.

May He Rest In Peace

Well done John

John Dean is commemorated on the main town memorial at Stockport Art Gallery. It is only recently that I was able to identify him using online Cheshire deaths information and the "pension" service papers.

I know nothing of his early life except that he was married to Sarah Ellen. Her maiden name was probably Brindley and was probably the woman who married a John W Dean in 1905 at All Saints Church, Heaton Norris. He enlisted into the army in January 1915, leaving his job as a thread gasser at a local cotton mill and was assigned to the 2nd Cheshires.

On 3 October 1915 he was taken prisoner at Loos. When hostilities ended he returned to the UK. His health had deteriorated as a direct result of captivity and he now suffered from congested lungs and, as described in his service papers, a “weak heart”. He was formally discharged from the army in March 1919, due to his medical condition and, receiving a small pension, returned to live with Sarah in Stockport. He died of his heart condition.

NOT FORGOTTEN

John

John

does he have a marked grave?

Chris

does he have a marked grave?

Chris

There's a known grave plot but I don't know if there's a headstone. Very many are missing at Willow Grove as I know warbuff1 will confirm (I think Wayne has probably poked about more there than I have looking for someone else). I'll go and have a look once the snow's cleared.

John

Well done everyone involved in this.

Terry, I hope that you do not mind but I altered the title on your original posting as it said 09 rather than 19.

Andy

Another IFTC success. Congratulations

it said 09 rather than 19 - it should be 09 (too many tipples?)

REMEMBERED

Cripes,

You could well be right Bardness, my apologies to all. Edited back again. :wacko: not enough tipples me thinks.

Andy

Yes John def too cold to be poking in there at this time of year. :P Seem to recall on far left of cemetery a cluster of CW Graves but not had time to visit for a while. Maybe in there or otherwise it be a search around for him...andy still has the grave plot map i hope so will check

Wayne

Wayne

I seem to have lost my map so if Andy can point me at section C, it'd save me a schlep up the A6 to the cemetery office. And, yes, you're right about the far left, there's a little cluster of graves including a VC winner (whose name escapes me)

John

Two possible stockport John W Dean's on the 1901 census (and both born same quarter 1883) but this could be his future wife:

Sarah E Brindley 18 Lanc Reddish Stockport Stockport Calico Weaver

++

From Free BMD:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

------------------------------------------------

Marriages Sep 1905

-----------------------------------------------

Brindley Sarah Ellen Stockport 8a 50

DEAN John William Stockport 8a 50

Well done John, and Terry.

Ian