Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Archives New Zealand

jeanbrandwood@t

Please can anyone help?

I was very excited to find that there are records relating to my great uncle John Graham George at the "archives govt. NZ " record office. I have contacted the office by email to see if there is any way of accessing these records online as I am in UK, but not heard back. I was wondering if anyone could advise. It looks as if they are only available for personal visits which I would love to be able to do but can't afford!!

These are the references

GEORGE, John Graham - WW1 12/544 - Army

Agency - AABK

Series - 18805

Accession - W5539

Box/Item - 17

Record - 0044105

Thank you

Jean

Jean,

I obtained my grandfather's file from Archives NZ last year. I live in France, so like you, couldn't visit at the drop of a hat - much as I would like to.

I have to say it took a very long time - that everyone I had contact with was very nice - but the site seemed to offer no online method of payment. In the end, I telephoned and payed by credit card. The person who took the payment was 'Heidi'. After the payment, my order was lost - which I discovered after phoning them again. From then I had e-mail contact with someone called Vernon Wybrow, who did a good job of getting the copy of the file to me.

They seemed a bit surprised that someone was calling from France! It may be helpful for others in the future to suggest they put in a facility for online ordering and payment. I started out thinking I had missed the relevant bit on the website, or that I'd just done something wrong. However, I believe the staff are a little overwhelmed with the number of requests for War records, and no wonder if there is no system in place for online payment.

By the way, another person requested help from the GWF on the same issue. She had a relative living in Auckland who helped out.

Good luck with your order and your research beyond that. I understand your excitement!

Joanna

Jean,

I obtained my grandfather's file from Archives NZ last year. I live in France, so like you, couldn't visit at the drop of a hat - much as I would like to.

I have to say it took a very long time - that everyone I had contact with was very nice - but the site seemed to offer no online method of payment. In the end, I telephoned and payed by credit card. The person who took the payment was 'Heidi'. After the payment, my order was lost - which I discovered after phoning them again. From then I had e-mail contact with someone called Vernon Wybrow, who did a good job of getting the copy of the file to me.

They seemed a bit surprised that someone was calling from France! It may be helpful for others in the future to suggest they put in a facility for online ordering and payment. I started out thinking I had missed the relevant bit on the website, or that I'd just done something wrong. However, I believe the staff are a little overwhelmed with the number of requests for War records, and no wonder if there is no system in place for online payment.

By the way, another person requested help from the GWF on the same issue. She had a relative living in Auckland who helped out.

Good luck with your order and your research beyond that. I understand your excitement!

Joanna

Hi Joanne,

Thank you . That's very helpful. Glad to hear you eventually got your records. It is exciting to find pieces of information about family members isn't it.

Good Luck to you to. It's fascinating researching my relatives war histories,but also very moving.

Regards

Jean

Jean

I will get the file for you - it will take about three weeks so please be patient. PM me your postal address and I will will send it to you. I will order it this week.

Regards

Zack

This the reply I had for a request for information.

Dear Researcher

Thank you for your NZDF inquiry.

All NZDF requests are now being digitized and will take approximately 15 working days to process from receipt of payment.

Please note each NZDF research inquiry or retrieval is $25.00. This fee must be paid before we are able to undertake any research or retrieval as follows –

Cheque payable to – Archives New Zealand

International Money Order – Archives New Zealand

Credit Card (Mastercard, Visa or Bankcard only) – Archives New Zealand

If paying by credit card, please include the following details –

Name of credit card holder

Card Type

Card Number

Card Expiry Date

Please note, we cannot guarantee the security of emails so suggest you post or fax these details to us at the contact details below, or phone between 9am and 1pm.

This fee includes up to 40 pages. Any additional pages cost $0.50. You will be contacted if this applies.

Please be aware that we do not have the resources to do extensive research on behalf of our clients. If you require this kind of assistance you will need to employ a private researcher.

More details about our remote reference service are available on our website.

Yours sincerely

Thank you for that information

Regards

Jean

Hi, Jean

You possibly emailed when Archives NZ was closed. A lot of the country shuts down over the Christmas/New Year period, with some govt departments (e.g. the courts) not going back to work til Monday 5th January or even Monday 12th. It being summer holidays here as well. :) They were certainly slow towards the end of last year, with large research groups requesting masses of service records, I understand.

Allie

Hi, Jean

You possibly emailed when Archives NZ was closed. A lot of the country shuts down over the Christmas/New Year period, with some govt departments (e.g. the courts) not going back to work til Monday 5th January or even Monday 12th. It being summer holidays here as well. :) They were certainly slow towards the end of last year, with large research groups requesting masses of service records, I understand.

Allie

Thanks Allie,

I eventually got a reply, but meanwhile another kind member has offered to find the records for me. Everyone is so kind and helpful on this website. It's been wonderful!

Thanks again for all your responses.

Regards

Jean