Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

crossing the T

Kate Wills

My friend's daughter has reached the Great War stage at school, and (this sounds promising, thought I) they have been studying the Battle of Jutland. Their teacher has set them some homework, and I was asked for a definition of "Crossing the T". I was stumped. I have since seen it mentioned in a book on Jutland, but still can't provide a definition.

Are there any nautical chaps out there who can help?

The tactic employed by both the Royal and German Navies was the same during the Battle of Jutland.

This tactic was known as "crossing the T".

This was done by having the attacking fleet cross the bows of the opposing fleet, which would allow the attacking fleet to use all its guns on its opponents, while they in turn could only use their forward facing guns.

It only became possible to use this tactic with the advent of steam powered ships and was first used, as far as I am aware, in the Russo-Japanese Battle of Tsushima Strait (1905).

John.

Kate, I believe this refers to the manoeuvre that the British fleet was able to perform at least twice during the battle. The two fleets would normally try to run parallel to each other in order to bring their main armament against the opposite line.

To cross the 'T' is where one fleet could manoeuvre so that it would cross the head of the enemy line. This allows the the ships making up the horizontal portion bring all of their guns against the lead ships of the enemy fleet while the enemy, or the vertical part of the 'T' could only bring their forward guns against the enemy, usually only one or more ships.

The horizontal part of the 'T' could bering all of their guns to concentrate their fire to cause the most damage.

Hope this helps. I am sure others will have some details or access to an appropritate web site.

Ralph

Found this by searching:

General Naval Tactics in 1916

The general idea was that a fleet approaching battle should be in columns moving parallel in line ahead in order to present the minimum target to torpedoes. During the actual battle the fleet should deploy into a single line, abeam to the enemy so that the maximum number of guns could be brought to bear and the enemy could only fire with the front turrets of the leading ships - 'cross his T'. If this did occur it would be largely luck, more likely would be a heavy exchange between two fleets on roughly parallel courses.

Ralph

Ralph and John,

Many thanks from both myself and young Sophie Gillham, whose history teacher is about to be very impressed!!

Agree with the above. Imagine lining your fleet in the position of the horizontal bar of the 'T', facing the oncoming vertical bar. Ships in the vertical bar can only fire their forward facing guns but those in the horizontal can pour in huge broadsides.

Raster - "It only became possible to use this tactic with the advent of steam powered ships and was first used, as far as I am aware, in the Russo-Japanese Battle of Tsushima Strait (1905)." - In fact it as an ancient and well known tactic and was the most prized tactical manouvre of the Napoleonic Wars for example, when ships had no turrets and had to rely on genuine broadsides.

All the best,

Andrew

Kate

I have the death plaques of two brothers who were lost on the Indefatigable on that day. I've got copies of their service records. Would you like copies to add to her project.

Michael

Andrew - Many thanks for the extra historical information. It is all grist to the mill, and expands my own knowledge, let alone Sophie's.

Michael - Yes please!! The kids at Rothwell will be producing a pretty impressive project at this rate. Do you mind if I keep copies in my collection? I think you know my contact details, and I hope you are getting to grips with the KRRC!

Bob - Exactly so; and this is what I love about this forum and the WFA. Sharing our interest and our various portfolios of information in such a friendly and inspirational manner. Long may we all flourish!!

Hi Kate and to all,

Just to add a couple of things to all the excellent answers so far on this topic. Another added advantage to "Crossing the T" was that the ships "Crossing the T" ie on the horizontal track, had a much larger target to fire at due to the ships on the vertical track would in general terms be head on and so the target becomes the whole length on the enemy ship, bow to stern. The ships on the vertical track not only being disadvantaged by only fireing forward faceing guns at thier target but the target is beam on and so the target is only the width of the ship, far more harder to hit.

I have some diagrams, sketches etc of the fleet movements and other bits re the battle, I could scan them and send them to you off list if thats any help for the project.

Best regards

Peter.

Peter,

As I say, it is all grist to the mill. If it is no trouble I would love to recieve your scans via my e-mail address.

Thankyou

Kate

Michael,

A relation of mine was serving on the Indefatigable but came off the ship sick before it sailed to take part in the Battle of Jutland.

Regards,

Alan.