Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st/10th, london regiment

ohnjay

Hello All,

Not at all up on war history but I hope you can help. While researching my family history I found out that my uncle, Pte Thomas Wright died in the first war and is buried in Port Port Said War Memorial Cemetery. He died on the 17/5/1917, Cause of death says,"not stated"

Question 1, Why no cause of death?

Question 2, have read a lot of the posts and am beginning to wonder did the 1st/10th do any fighting?

question 3, any idea what hospital he was in?

Have tried on and of for a couple of years to find more info. Have tried kew but not very helpful, just gave me a headache with all there abbreviations, at one point the man told me he may have been shot at dawn. If he was would the family have received his medals and would he have been buried in war cemetery?

Have more questions but will ask later.

Thanking you in advance if I get any answers.

John

john. my great grandad served with the 1st/10th london regiment. they landed 10/08/1915 in suvla bay gallipolli, evacuated with the rest of the allies in december. then were posted to egypt being involved with the suez canal defences. in 1917 they took part in 1st,2nd and 3rd battles of Gaza, my grandad was killed on the 19th of april on the last day of second Gaza. there was no regimental history for the 1/10th and i have been researching for the last few years. hope this helps a bit.

james

Thanks for answers,

We also thought that as they put died it was of an illness.

James thanks for that just wish there was some history that we could look up but it seems to be sparse as far as this unit is concerned.