Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Sniper Plate

rj.hoare

I have just seen this item on eBay and I wondered if anyone knows about them as it looks like the real thing?? eBay seems to bring out the weird and wonderful regardsstuff from WW1. I see the seller also has a WW1 German Gas Mask and Cannister. I must wonder if all these kind of items were "take homes" by squaddies departing from France or later "pick-ups" by tourists, as I expect everyone and his Uncle would visit the area after the war??

WW1 - German Sniper Shield Plate Item number: 220335893412

hi. it looks original enough to me, looks in good nick so wonderd if it was used much. couldnt really say how it arrived back in england but they are really heavy so i dought many squaddies were lugging them around. most probally put in to stores once the line moved up. the germans were pioneers in sniping. even in ww1 the brits fought it was un gentlemanly. theres a good book by major pritichard, "sniping in france" which talks of the use of these shields. would be a great read if interested

james

looks AOK to me, I have the same one myself, all repainted of course, and a lot of battlefield pick ups. Have seen a few found in recent years, but this one looks in pretty good condition

Matt

Max makes a good point. Looking at the photos there is no sign of the rear prop and therefore you would be only buying half the kit. The price if it stays in the £50 region would be ok as complete shields with a good prop and peephole cover are now selling for up to 150 euros at French arms fairs. I was very lucky recently to pick up a complete and very good condition shield for a third of that, but generally they will be around the 100 euros mark. Without the prop the value is reduced.

Gunner Bailey

Thanks to everyone who provided some input, with particular emphasis on the supply of the various links that distracted me for a long wee while :-) I think I shall leave it be for now. Richard

Current Price £213 and an hour to go. I've had confirmation from the seller that the prop is missing from this sheild.

Gunner Bailey

I got one of this type for 10 euros in july;

PICT1124-1.jpg

PICT1125-1.jpg

The side guards werent as good as this one photo'd here but it was still a bargain.

This one cost nothing;

PICT0173.jpg

They can still be bought cheap in France/Belgium but are dearer at the fairs.Dave.

I got one of this type for 10 euros in july;

Blimey Dave, It worth more as scrap than that! What type and date is that one? I've not seen one as complex as that before. Must be pretty rare.

John

never ceases to amaze me the pric epeople pay for stuff, bought my one with the side plates on from la Target museum for under £30 same price for the other model from Pozieres! and with stand to for £20! about 4 years ago!

matt

Blimey Dave, It worth more as scrap than that! What type and date is that one? I've not seen one as complex as that before. Must be pretty rare.

John

I don't suppose it's that rare,John.I dunno,to tell the truth but I have seen a few around.Very strong,very practical.You can run forward with one in this open position with no difficulties.

I got it at Sailly,where we were supposed to meet last July(but we got there too late :blush: )

I'm guessing that this type is post early 1916 as the photo below shows what I call the 'bog standard' type in a training trench where the blokes have pickelhaubes.I really don't know.

trenchgerman.jpg

I cant believe the price the ebay one went for.I really gotta start selling again.............

Dave.

where is that lot ?

Mick

I bet I'm wrong but,it looks similar to the Vimy 'dump' that started with the bypass dig.

I bet I'm wrong but,it looks similar to the Vimy 'dump' that started with the bypass dig.

Thanks, when I'm next over there I'm taking a trailer !

Mick