Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Marquis de Ruvigny Roll of Honour

kinnethmont

Do any of the members have access to The Marquis de Ruvigny Roll of Honour ?

I had not heard of it until recently but believe it records details of WW1 casualties, most with photos. It originally set out to record every man who fell but after July 1916 not all casualties were included.

Any advice or assistance appreciated.

I have the reprint, and as so often with these things, the photograhic reproduction is abysmal. It is a wonderful compilation, though its three volumes have no cumulative index, which makes checking a bit log-winded.

Tell me what you are after, and I'll do my best to oblige.

Kate.

My understanding is that it covers Officers only, is this correct?

This roll of honour was produced while the war was still on, and entries were included on a subscription basis - i.e. you had to pay to have a relative included. The longer the entry - the greater the cost.

As such, it only includes a fraction of the men that fell; the early volumes are largely 1914-15 casualties, but later ones include men killed into 1918.

Men of all ranks and backgrounds are included; it is not officers only - that was in a seperate volume called the Bond of Sacrifice which did only cover officers killed in 1914/15.

Conor,

The reprints are available from Naval and Military Press (the publishers); Ray Westlake and others.

Original copies (take out a re-mortgage first) can be found through second hand book dealers of book search engines on the web such as ABE books, though it can be a long wait for one to surface.

Stick with the reprints, or borrow them through the library system.