Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 RAF or RFC / WW1 DSM or DSO

Paul Crilley

Hi there Great War Forum - I am happy to be here, this is my first post.

I am trying to clarify the detail shown on an inscription plate attached to a presentation clock in my possession, with a view to finding out more about the person it was awarded to.

I assume the person, Matthew Willey, was from Newcastle upon Tyne as the clock was presented by a Newcastle Company. Here is the inscription.

PRESENTED TO

PRIVATE MATTHEW WILLEY, R.A.F, D.S.M.

BY JOHN BOWES & PARTNERS LIMITED

TO RECORD HIS BRAVE AND GALLANT CONDUCT

IN THE EUROPEAN WAR

The first issue I suppose would be his name, is the spelling of Willey correct? Then a question over RAF or RFC and the DSM? Should this be the DSO?

Perhaps the fact that the war is described as the European War throws doubt on the accuracy of the other detail.

Can anyone advise how I can attempt to 'crack' this ?

Kind regards

Crilley

Don't know if this helps or merely confuses but a Matthew Willey was awarded the DSM (London Gazette #30936, 5 October 1918). Gazette link is Here

To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.

A.B. Frank Edward Apps, O.N. 232561 (Ch.).

Carp. Clement F. Mander (Trinity House Vessel " Argus").

Offrs. Stwd., 1st Cl., William Sewell, O.N. L643 (Ch.).

Senior Reserve Attendant Matthew Willey, O.N. M11971 (Ch.).

Hope it helps.

Steve

p.s. welcome to the forum.

Hi Crilley, welcome.

Im sure some one on this forum will post some info about this man. Meanwhile:-

Although John Bowes and Partners main offfice was in Newcastle, the company owned many many mines in Durham.

Bowes museum in Barnard Castle may have some Archives. The Bowes Railway Centre in Gatehead has Archives relating to all manor of the Bowes Railway. If they are not enough then Blandford house in Newcastle has excellent resources (index is on line) relating to buisiness in Newcastle and Gateshead. Northumberland record office Ashington has more northumberland records.

Hello Crilley

Our local war memorial includes the description "The Great European War" and have seen this description applied elsewhere, and in numerous books.

Regarding the surname "Willey" - I have a war medal named to a Thomas Willey, therefore spelling is likely to be correct.

Rob

The DSM is a naval medal and the DSO is for officers only. Therefore it will be the DSM and he was presumably in the RNAS before the formation of the RAF.

A man by the name of Matthew Willey appears in the National Archive Seamens Records (on-line).

Matthew Willey, born 24/3/1893, Springwell Colliery, Durham.

Service number M11971.

This may be the man you are looking for.

Rob

Crilley,

Senior Reserve Attendant was a rating in the Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve. The RNASBR was recruited from the St Johns Ambulance Brigade which has strong links with the mining industry.

"From 1903 until 1921 all volunteer St J.A.B. men entered the RNASBR as Junior Reserve Attendants, receiving advancement to Senior Reserve Attendants when they passed either the hospital or man-of-war first aid and nursing examinations".

The Naval Long Service Medals, by Kenneth Douglas-Morris.

At £3-50p it would certainly be worth you downloading the service record which RFT has found for you, if only for elimination purposes. If it is the same man then possible RNAS service & transfer to the RAF should be recorded in it.

Regards,

David.

Are you sure, (not to doubt your integrity) that you are reading the right inscription Crilley. Post a picture of it.

Anyway welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forum,

Matthew Willey, born 24/3/1893, Springwell Colliery, Durham.

Service number M11971.

Here's the link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

There are medal rolls to the DSM in ADM 171/61 and ADM171/75 at the UK National Archives, Kew. The details of the action for which they were awarded can usually be found using the ADM 12 indexes.

Are you sure, (not to doubt your integrity) that you are reading the right inscription Crilley. Post a picture of it.

Why do you doubt it?

• 5 years later...
Guest Salty Sam

Hi, I now have the DSM medal group to Matthew Willey - Is this thread still active?

Crilley - I would very much like to see a picture of the presentation clock.

Salty Sam.