Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"W A" - Unit Abbreviation?

4thGordons

As found stamped on the pommel of a 1901 Sanderson manufactured, Pattern 1888 bayonet.

As this is obviously a pre war bayonet it may be a unit which has ceased to exist by 1914 (or earlier - such as a pre TF "volunteer" unit) but as considerable numbers of this bayonet remained in service during the first years of war I am unsure. I can't even come up with one convincing possibility - the only thing I can think of is Western Australia (??) or W?blank? Artilllery.

The mark is clear (see photo) -- suggestions appreciated.

Chris

post-14525-1230939988.jpg

Name: Willy Herbert Alexander Auerbach

Birth Place: Hampstead, Middx.

Residence: Hounslow

Death Date: 23 May 1915

Enlistment Location: Ealing

Regiment: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the Line (incl. Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps)

Battalion: 2nd King Edwards Horse.

Number: 1145

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

peronalised bayonets?

?? armoury

Didn't think of that! A fairly significant coincidence regarding initials and number.

I must say I have not heard of individually marked bayonets, but if it were to happen anywhere I suppose a Yeomanry unit would be a good candidate?

I 'll have a look into this - many thanks!

Chris

Edit: if it was WHA Auerbach it looks like he was only in theatre 18 days before being KIA. Entered 5/5/1915 KIA 23/5/1915

• 4 years later...

WHA Auerbach is mentioned in the diary of my great uncle Frank Vans Agnew so if you want to know more about the circumstances of his death, get in touch.

Jamie.

VETERAN VOLUNTEER

Memoir of the Trenches, Tanks and Captivity 1914 – 1919 by Frank Vans Agnew (Ed. Jamie Vans) is to be published in about April 2014 by Pen & Sword Books.