Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Repatriated British Private

Terry Denham

There have been several threads about the few British troops who were repatriated after their death and before the practice was banned in mid-1915.

I am compiling a complete database of the small number who were returned home both during and after the war. All those returned to the UK were officers but I thought Pals might be interested in one British private who made it home.

Private Marcel TROUPIN DM2/195545

6 MT Coy, Army Service Corps Died 07.03.17

He was actually a Belgian by birth but served in the British Army. He died in the UK but his family were permitted to take him home and he is now buried in Verviers Communal Cemetery, Belgium.

The n-o-k of a British serviceman who died in the UK could select the burial location - on this occasion it was abroad! Not strictly 'repatriation' as it is normally meant though.

Will you be publishing the list Terry ?

Charlie

Charlie

I will make it available to Pals when it is finished.

Always happy to hear of any cases from the Forum just in case I have missed someone!

Terry

The subject fascinates me but I only know of Gadstone and Austin. A prosperous local Mill owning family from my home town of Cleckheaton

wrote unsuccessfully to try and get their son's body home without success but they did get his original grave marker which is in the local church. He was Lt Luke Mallinson Tetlow 5th WRRegt.

Charlie