Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

23rd London Regiment 1798-1919 & 47th (London Div)

westkent78

I'm seriously considering purchasing these books from N&M, but I was wondering if anyone has them and can pass on their impressions/reviews.

Thanks,

Matthew

Matthew

I have both but have not read them. I have an original copy of the

47th Div and a reprint and I must confess the maps are far superior

in the original whereas N@M have scaled them down to fit on a single page.

The 23rd is quite nice but as I said I have not read it from cover to cover.

If thats your interest then buy them. much cheaper than the orignals.

Geoff

• 3 weeks later...

Matthew,

I guess the first question is to ask what you are looking for in a unit (or divisional) history. I can't speak for the 23rd Bn history but I am familiar with the 47th div history. It is a useful bridge between the "high level" official history and battalion accounts and provides a good record of the doings of the 47th division. Yes, the maps are better in the original but the reprint provides the information at a more acceptable price. There are extensive appendices and the main text takes you through the divisions activities from the outset to demobilisation.

If you are approaching it from the perspective of one battalion within the division you will probably find yourself thinking "I wish it said a bit more about that" but it is a good sound divisional history and well worth acquiring if you interest runs beyond just one battalion. Even if this is the case it may well broaden your interest and perspective. I bought my copy on the basis of an interest in the 20th Londons and Loos but I certainly don't regret having it on my shelves. I hope you would feel the same.

Martin

If you are still indecisive you could always invest in an library (or interlibrary) loan.

The 47th Div history is IMHO one of the best div histories produced. The maps are useful, sometimes with trenches being named (they are ususally shown). It also has c. 120 pictures - a mixture of postwar photos of the battlefields, portraits of divisional commanders, brigadiers and VC winners, contemporary sketches of the battlefields, and some wartime photos. It has several appendices covering the administrative services of the div, div concert party, order of battle, 40pp of honours and awards to men in the division, lists of commanders and staff officers etc. I have found it a very useful complement to the histories of the 6th & 7th Londons and the War Diaries of the various bns and bdes of the Div.

I cant speak for the 23rd Londons history as I havent used that, but I suspect that you will find the two will complement each other nicely.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all for your thoughts. Sounds like I'll have to add them to my ever increasing "to buy" list.

Regards,

Matthew