Kevin Stillyards

Can any one tell me if this soldier was a POW

HW FARROW

Private 242086

2/5th Lincolnshire regiment

Died 11/06/1917

Thanks

Kevin,

Almost certainly a POW being buried in Cologne Southern Cemetery.

It doesn't however follow that he was held in Cologne as in 1922 bodies were concentrated into four main cemeteries in Germany, Cologne being one of these.

If you go to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site and bring up his details against the cemetery name on his sheet click on "view details" and this will give you further info.

Bob.

Kevin,

I have a list of about 150 missing 2/5th Lincolns from the 11/04/1917 of which Pte 242086 Herbert Walter Farrow is one. Many on the list did become prisoners of war, but many died on that day and are commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial. SDGW records Herbert as 'died' on 11/08/1917, CWGC confirms the date of death. He was amongst a batch of approximately 150 men, from the Home Counties.

The list gives Pte Farrow a second (former) service number, 6128. He enlisted in Surrey and was born in Essex, so it is possible that he was amongst a draft of men transferred from another regiment. Unfortunately I have not researched these men as yet, but am aware of the circumstances surrounding their deaths/capture. mail me off forum if you would like me to give more detail.

It is likely that Pte Farrow died in captivity.

Steve.