Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pay (again)

Joe Sweeney

I've run across quite a bit of information that the British Army in France was paid in French francs. This includes both Officers and O/rs.

This includes sources such as GRO's 1887 and 2240 which limits the amount of advance pay an officer can withdraw from a field cashier--always in francs.

Original Advance pay book for Officers that clearly only show francs.

Additional other GRO's which explain exchange rates, when and how calculated. Also, where to exchange British money for newly arriving soldiers.

Dunn "The War the Infantry Knew" also mentions that it was practice to pay O/rs in 5 and 10 franc denominations in 1916.

Also I understand that pay was sometimes referred to as "20 francs a fortnight".

Even Canadian AB 64s plainly state that Pay in Canada was in Dollars, Pound Sterling in England and francs in France.

What I'd like to know is was this for the whole war?

What was the official origin of this policy, Army Order, Agreement with France etc?

Any help would be appreciated,

Joe Sweeney

From the few mentions of pay have seen in the diary of a soldier of the 17th Londons, it was either 5 or 10 francs on pay day but these pay days were rather irregular.

Ron

Joe

You are quite right in what you say. The British Army in France was paid in francs throughout the war and the stand rate for a private soldier was 10 francs per week. There was also a ceiling on what officers were allowed to draw from the field cashier - I think that it was the equivalent of £5 at a time.

I have not come across any official order for this early in the war. However, since British canteens in France did not come into existence until spring 1915, the soldier was totally reliant on the French economy up until that time. Furthermore, even after this time, soldiers still relied on estaminets to a large degree. It would have been an administrative nightmare to pay them in both francs and Sterling.

Those going on leave were able to exchange their francs on arrival in UK.

Charles

Ron/Charles,

Thanks for your reply's.

Charles,

The GRO's I mentioned stated that the limits were 200 ff for Field Grade and 125ff for below field grade provided their agents had enough funds to match the advance.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe,

On a practical base. I use to have a coinshop in Bruges and was sometimes astonished by the number of silver French francs and 1/2 francs who were presented to me for sale. What also had my attention was the fact that most of them were strucked with dates from 1914 on. Some figures (reference is 'Coins of the World' 1996 edition by Krause)

1/2 francs:

1914: 9.657.000

1915: 20.893.000

1916: 52.963.000

1917: 48.629.000

1918: 36.492.000

1919: 24.299.000

1 francs:

1914: 14.361.000

1915: 47.955.000

1916: 92.029.000

1917: 57.153.000

1918: 50.112.000

1919: 46.112.000

However English pennies, 3 pences, 6 pences and shillings also had a dramatical higher number of coins struck during that period.

Jacky