The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

non comm

manchester regiment

pte 21306 john,robert barker

22nd manchesters

he was killed in action,on 1st july 1916

hes not listed on the CWGC.

will his MIC+SDGW entry,be enough,to get him commemorated by the CWGC.

mack

Mack

No. His death certificate will be required.

However, he is one of the cases already in hand with the In From The Cold Project and so he will be sorted shortly. He will be commemorated in due course.

He was discovered by volunteer, John Hartley.

• 2 weeks later...

How did John discover it? B)

How did John discover it? B)

I know that you are already fully aware of what the Project is doing - not least from the posts made on your own recent thread here.

However, thank you for the opportunity to again bring the Project to the attention of a wider audience.

The main task the volunteers are undertaking is a long and often tedious cross-reference of the General Register Office list of overseas army and navy deaths against the records of CWGC. In addition, we have already undertaken this check for Airmen Died in the Great War and the home deaths recorded on Soldiers Died. A full check on the names listed in Officers Died will shortly be completed.

Barker's name was one of 13 that I identified on pages 171 - 180 of the GRO list, as possibly not commemorated by CWGC. That was back in February. We are now working through the Hs.

Of course, anyone interested in joining us can drop me a PM or email. You'll be made most welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Barker's name was one of 13 that I identified on pages 171 - 180 of the GRO list, as possibly not commemorated by CWGC. That was back in February. We are now working through the Hs.

Of course, anyone interested in joining us can drop me a PM or email. You'll be made most welcome.

when you say back in February would i be right in saying 2008,

because it was first posted DEC 8th 2006

Group: Old Sweats

Member No.: 12,889

this soldier appears to be missing.

pte john,robert barker

22nd manchester regt

age 25

lived at 11 parlington st,harpurhey,manchester

son of mr+mrs e.barker

educated at st.edmunds school, monsall.

enlisted jan. 1914

killed 1-7-16

his obit appears in the manchester papers and hes listed in SDGW,but he doesnt appear to be on the CWGC,can someone double check for me,many thanks,bernard

so give credit were its due . tony

Tony

Yes - 2008.

And you're right about earlier threads. The Forum search facility shows that this thread is the third time that "manchester regiment" has posted the information. This is the 2006 thread (which predates the forming of the In From The Cold Project by some 12 months) - clickety click.

Here's the link to the second posting in which mack said he was going to get the death certificate himself and then, presumably, pass it to Terry to submit to CWGC. Clickety click

John

shame you didn't use the search facility previously B) seems a bit careless not to search GWF threads for non comms already posted

Chris,

Yes, you're right, it could have been picked up in a forum search, but surely this would be an added layer of work that would have a very, very limited return. Or do you think that there are lots of forum members like 'manchester regiment' who, on identifying a non-comm, don't do anything about it for more than two years? As long as this is an isolated case, I think your suggested added layer of 'quality control' is unnecessary - it would certainly add a huge amount of work to an already laborious project.

Best wishes,

Stuart

Guys,

This is all about Private Barker I would have thought, and his apparent non commemoration. So hats off to both Bernard and John for this, now shall we stop the point scoring and hope that he is brought in from the cold.

Andy

This discussion appears to be about who discovered this man first.... well if he was discovered in the middle of 2006 then why hasn't evidence been supplied and followed up?

Mick

This discussion appears to be about who discovered this man first.... well if he was discovered in the middle of 2006 then why hasn't evidence been supplied and followed up?

Mick

i was waiting till the rest of the service records came on line,and hoped that his record had survived the blitz.

i have a family to feed,and cant afford DCs at the expense of my family,i was hoping that a service record would have survived,and use this as proof of death.

i am not arsed,who submits pte barkers name,the main thing,is that he gets his rightful place amongst the fallen.

as andy says,pte barkers commemoration,is the only important thing.

RESULT

hes in from the cold

mack

i am not arsed,who submits pte barkers name,the main thing,is that he gets his rightful place amongst the fallen.

Bernard

Thanks for that helpful post. I believe that Terry has been able to help in the past with non-comms you've found and I know you're not into point-scoring.

Hopefully, the Project will be able to put Barker's name forward in the near future. It looks as though the Ministry of Defence and the General Register Office are not far away from agreeing how the death certificates will be provided for the several hundred cases we have on our list.

If in the future, you or others find a possible "in service" non-comm where, for whatever reason, you feel you can't get the death certificate yourself, please feel free to make direct contact with Terry or me. We will put the name on our list for submission, although it would have to take its turn (and, as we have done with other folk, the Project would obviously record you as the "finder").

John

Slighty digressing but I have £50 to spend on DCs for naval cases courtesy of our local RNA

Chris