Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SDGW or CWGC Who is right?

friartuck

Can anybody help? :rolleyes:

The following entry is taken from SDGW and is all the information given:

Acting Bombardier Albert George Tuck 69892, Royal Horse/Field Artillery, Born Walworth, Southwest London, Enlisted London, DoW 27th April 1915, Theatre of War France & Flanders.

The only entry I can find on CWGC site refers to an Albert George Tuck Somerset LI, which is a correct entry as I have visited this Albert's grave.

Any ideas who is right, who is wrong?

They are different men. I can find SDGW entries for both but like you only one CWGC entry.

Regards

Mike S

friartuck,

due to the monumental undertaking of both sources, mistakes in accuracy will inevitably be made. Before SDGW came to be, I had a date of death error to an Australian. CWGC was subsequently contacted with relevant information and it has since been changed. Do I detect a family interest in Albert Tuck?

Cheers,

David

Both men existed and both died on the dates given.

Hello Chris,

Perhaps I didn't explain my point properly, the CWGC site has no record of him and SDGW doesn't state a grave location or memorial.

Kindest regards,

Stephen.

friartuck,

due to the monumental undertaking of both sources, mistakes in accuracy will inevitably be made. Before SDGW came to be, I had a date of death error to an Australian. CWGC was subsequently contacted with relevant information and it has since been changed. Do I detect a family interest in Albert Tuck?

Cheers,

David

Hello David,

First of all, thank you for your response I certainly agree with you about inaccuracies especially with SDGW for example they list 8 Tuck's with first initial J whereas CWGC lists 10.

I am researching all the men with the surname Tuck who died in the Great War and ultimately WW11 as well, I think of them all as Family.

Kindest regards,

Stephen.

See what you mean. With Geoff's Search Engine down, you can always resort to Google (using which, if you are wise with your selection of search terms, you can find anyone on the CWGC database). But doing that there is no man named Tuck or even a likely Albert shown as dying on 27 April 1915. Could be one of our "non commemorateds".

This is what we have from the GRO Overseas Deaths & CWGC:

Albert George Tuck, 16949 (or 16946), died 1/7/16 (not 1915) & buried at Gordon Dump Cemetery (GRO death certificate reference: I.60.58)

Albert George Tuck, 69892, Royal Field Artillery. Died 1915. Death Certificate reference: A.1.57

As far as I can tell the RFA man is not commemorated by CWGC. In due course, the In From The Cold Project will reach letter T (if we're still going, probably in a couple of years) and will be in a position to submit his name to CWGC/MoD. In the meantime, if anyone wants to advance this case by buying the death certificate themselves, we'll be able to submit it now. Feel free to contact me to discuss this.

Assuming that it will be OK, with friartuck, I'm asking a moderator to move the thread to the "non-commemorations" sub-forum, where we can deal with it easier.

John

This is what we have from the GRO Overseas Deaths & CWGC:

Albert George Tuck, 16949 (or 16946), died 1/7/16 (not 1915) & buried at Gordon Dump Cemetery (GRO death certificate reference: I.60.58)

Albert George Tuck, 69892, Royal Field Artillery. Died 1915. Death Certificate reference: A.1.57

As far as I can tell the RFA man is not commemorated by CWGC. In due course, the In From The Cold Project will reach letter T (if we're still going, probably in a couple of years) and will be in a position to submit his name to CWGC/MoD. In the meantime, if anyone wants to advance this case by buying the death certificate themselves, we'll be able to submit it now. Feel free to contact me to discuss this.

Assuming that it will be OK, with friartuck, I'm asking a moderator to move the thread to the "non-commemorations" sub-forum, where we can deal with it easier.

John

Hello John,

What is my next move, where do I get a death certificate, how do I approach the CWGC, etc, etc, is there an idiots guide?

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

You order from the General Register Office. This is the link http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

If you're a first time user, you need to register your email address with them for logon purposes but then it's very straightforward. You'll need to find the death certificates bit and then confirm that it's an "overseas death". You'll be asked for name, year of death, GRO reference, etc. I've given this above for the RFA man. It'll cost you seven quid and they mail it to you within a few days. When you've got it, send me a PM or email through the Forum system and we can take it from there. Basically, the Project has arrangements in place to submit cases to CWGC/MoD and, although there's no official confirmation of the fact, they appear to fast-track our submissions. The death certificate is proof positive that the man died on overseas service and should be commemorated. There will be no argument from CWGC/MoD.

John

No they don't argue, in the course of researching Alexander McClintock DCM ( see below) I obtained the records of all the men mentioned by name in his book. CWGC changed the date of a man's death on his headstone even though it was off only one day.

Stephen

You order from the General Register Office. This is the link http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

If you're a first time user, you need to register your email address with them for logon purposes but then it's very straightforward. You'll need to find the death certificates bit and then confirm that it's an "overseas death". You'll be asked for name, year of death, GRO reference, etc. I've given this above for the RFA man. It'll cost you seven quid and they mail it to you within a few days. When you've got it, send me a PM or email through the Forum system and we can take it from there. Basically, the Project has arrangements in place to submit cases to CWGC/MoD and, although there's no official confirmation of the fact, they appear to fast-track our submissions. The death certificate is proof positive that the man died on overseas service and should be commemorated. There will be no argument from CWGC/MoD.

John

John, Firstly Happy New Year. :D

Thank you for your guidance above, I have ordered a copy of my Albert's Death Certificate from the GRO, it's very straightforward, when you know how. As soon as it arrives I will get in touch with you, it's high time Albert received the recognition he deserves.

Very kindest regards,

Stephen.