Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Carr 2739 South Lancs

Tom Kilkenny

I'd like to find out more about the above named man and was wondering if it's worthwhile signing up to access the service records online. As far as I can see, there's no way of checking beforehand whether the particular records are extant. Should I sign up anyway on the off chance?

Thanks

Tom

You can get a two week free trial - just make sure to cancel within the time limit.

Keith

I see that he arrived in France in December 1914. From what I can find on TLLT it seems most likely he was with the 2nd Bttn, given the regiment's other battalions were elsewhere or arrived after this date. Is it possible he could have signed up in August and found himself at the front in such a relatively short time?

Also, he later served with the Labour Corps. Is this likely to be post-armistice? I suppose the service records would tell me if they exist.

Tom

From CWGC

Name: CARR

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: South Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Secondary Regiment: Labour Corps

Secondary Unit Text: transf. to (605436) 77th Prisoners of War Coy.

Date of Death: 25/01/1919

Service No: 2739

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VIII. A. 2.

Cemetery: LES BARAQUES MILITARY CEMETERY, SANGATTE

Ellie

Ellie,

Thanks for the CWGC info.

It never even occurred to me to look there: I'd decided somehow that he wasn't a casualty of war - though perhaps indirectly he was.

Tom

I see that he arrived in France in December 1914. From what I can find on TLLT it seems most likely he was with the 2nd Bttn, given the regiment's other battalions were elsewhere or arrived after this date. Is it possible he could have signed up in August and found himself at the front in such a relatively short time?

Also, he later served with the Labour Corps. Is this likely to be post-armistice? I suppose the service records would tell me if they exist.

Tom

Tom

He would have been serving with the 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion. Many of these were "old soldiers" mobilised on the outbreak of war and initially posted to Crosby. His number was issued in October 1914.

The 2nd Battalion received "weclome reinforcements" of officers and men from the 3rd Bn in December 1914 so it looks like he was one of these men.

Hard to tell when he transferred to the Labour Corps but I have come across a man in my research who was posted to the LC in December 1918 from the South Lancs and then died in March 1919 of pneumonia. It's possible that John Carr wasa similar case.

Thanks Stephen.

It's interesting that you think he would have been a recalled reservist. Is there any way of checking this that you know of? I assume the reference to "welcome reinforcements" is from the Battalion war diary. Are the South Lancs a particular interest of yours?

Tom

Tom

Sorry for the delay in replying as I have been in Dublin for New Year and have only just come back online.

I think that without his service records it's hard to be absolutlery certain but looking at the times, it seems highly likely that he was an ex-soldier reservist. Having a number issued in October and being sent to France in December supports this theory.

Therefereice to "welcome reinforcements" is from the regimental history.

Many of the Prescot men that I have researched served with the South Lancs, hence my keen interest in the regiment.

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Sorry to jump on the end of your thread, but I too am researching a private John Carr 819 2nd Battalion Leinster Reg. I was just wondering if you happened to find any information on my John Carr while looking for your own.

Also did you ever find your John's service records?

Thanks,

Lilya