Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Brown MM DOW 7/5/18 9th Bn North'd

johnnie

I am trying to find out more about Private Charles Alfred Brown, real name Buzza.

He had the number 3-3638 when he served with the Manchester Regiment, but later

moved to the Northumberland Fusiliers with the number 41122. He first served in

the Balkans from the 11th November 1915, at he then moved to France where he

died of wounds on the 7th May 1918 after winning the MM.

I have done a little research and I am wondering if he may have served under a different

name because he was too young to serve. When he died in 1918 age is given as 19, however

by this point he had already been serving overseas from November 1915.

I have also pulled up his 1901 census which states he was living with his grandfather and grandmother

(called Brown) and his mother and father (called Buzza) and was age 2, and they were living at 54 Davyhulme Rd,

Davyhulme, Barton-upon-Irwell.

So far I have been unable to find his birth however if he is 2 in 1901, and he was 19 when he died, I am assuming

he was born about 1899, and must have only been 15/16 when he joined up, and 16/17 when he

first served overseas. I am assuming this is why he might have served under the name Brown (his maternal

grandfathers name) rather than his real name Buzza.

I was wondering if anybody else might have more information on this man. I am keen to see if

anybody knows what his MM was for. I did wonder if it might be for the action in which he was

wounded as his MM was published in the LG on the 6th August 1918, and as they seem to be about

3 months behind the date of the award I thought it might fit in.

Any help at all on this would be great, as I would love to find out a little more about this man.

Johnnie

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to bring this back to the top incase anybody had missed it first time around.

I was also wonderign if anybody could tell me what his local paper would be as I wondered if it

might mentioned his death/MM.

Jonathan