Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vimy Ridge programme - thoughts

JimSmithson

The supplied link, which I had read elsewhere, is one of a number of such comments on contemporary Canadian attitudes and it substantiates my earlier point concerning " social engineering". I recently had a rather acrimonious debate, actually about three of them, with extremely anti-British "Canadians", who were immigrants from eastern Europe and felt quite comfortable making false and derogatory comments about the Brits. on a couple of hunting related forums. This would never have happened when I was young and now if one points out the seminal influence of Britain on Canada, one is considered a "racist"......

SO, the increasing ignorance of Canadian history and military history in Canada is to be expected and this IS NOT accidental, as witness the comments about our failing "Medicare" programme as being what defines "Canadianess". People like me are thus increasingly adamant about supporting public recognition of events such as "Vimy Ridge" in order to counteract the assault upon our culture and our very existance as a nation and a people. Thus, we may seem a bit ...vehement... in our comments, at times.

I think that Nigel has a very clear concept of what happened and it is understandable that, to date, relatively little writing has been published on Arras and that aspect of the conflict, as opposed to "The Somme", for example.

The real HISTORY of "The Great War" is only NOW being written as it is now possible to be objective as it was not when many participants were alive and we have archaeological "tools" to employ in our understanding of what happened, why, who and when. The history of "The Great War" will be continuously refined for many decades to come, absent a serious nuclear encounter with the commies or perhaps the Islamists.

Discussions of this sort assist me to think about what I read and this is crucial to any real understanding of that great tragedy, the most terrible event in human history since "The Black Death".

Jim: Now theres no need for that ole boy! Wine, women song and plenty of rest should cure you of any self-doubts or illusionary thinking. See you back at the front, er...GWF!

:)

John

Toronto

This programme has been out for a while, it is often repeated on Sky.

Loved the stuff on the excavations and work of the Durand group.

Felt very uncomfortable when seeing how bad the modern day Canadian artillery were !

Mick

The Canadian artillery were not very competent in earlier battles of "The Great War", notably Mt. Sorrel and St. Eloi and our infantry suffered greatly as a result of that and also incompetence at the Brit. command level. These battles were very much a "learning curve" for ALL concerned.

However, by Vimy, we had developed a very effective "arty" and the highly capable, competent and accomplished Sir Arthur Currie, "Bungo's" successor as G.O.C. Canadian Corps, started as a Canuck gunner. I rather suspect that contemporary Canforce personnel would excell if and when called upon, as we Canucks have always done in wartime.

Mind you, aerial "gunships" may be a better alternative.......

Don't you mean McNaughton the artillery "genius" of the CEF rather than Currie?

Currie was an infantryman not an artillerist.

John

Lt.-Gen. Sir A.W. Currie, G.C.M.G., K.C.B. started his military career as a "gunner" and later commanded "The Gordon Highlanders", a Victoria, B.C. militia regiment. He was originally in the 5th C.G.A. and rose to O.C. of that militia reg.t., commencing in 1897; see Dancocks, " Legacyof Valour", pp. 89 and divers other sources.

The R.C.A. was commanded by Maj. Gen. Sir Henry Burstall, K.C.B., C.M.G., when a brigadier and upon his taking command of 2nd. Div., C.E.F., it was commanded by Brig.Gen. Sir E.W.B. Morrison, K.C.M.G., C.B., D.S.O. for the remainder of the war. This was the famous "Dinky" Morrison due to being of small stature....but a real soldier!

"Andy" McNaughton, commanded the Heavy Artillery for less than a year at the end of the war and was a brigadier. See Nicholson, pp. 540 for precise details, if you wish.

Ah Mick - thank you!!! :D Someone has seen it.

Jim