Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 23.12.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualty to its Debt of Honour database today – Tuesday 23rd December.

Lieut-Cmdr Joseph Armand SHUTER MVO

Royal Navy

Died 16.09.15 Age 39

Commemoration: Brookwood (United Kingdom 1914-1918) Memorial, Surrey, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

Lieut-Cmdr SHUTER was put forward on 15.10.08 on behalf of member, Chris Harley.

Joseph is the result on my ongoing research into the Times archives - his death notice from the Times 20th Sep 1915

More to follow later

Chris

post-4020-1230201456.png

Should anyone wish to see Josephs service records please send me a PM

Chris

• 5 months later...
Raising a glass to the memory of Joseph & another to Chris for his part in bringing him in from the cold.

Chris,

I would love to see Joseph Shuter's war record as he was my great Uncle, he was the youngest brother of General Reginald Gauntlett Shuter, my grand father.

We know very little about Joseph other than he was great friends with the royal family and I have his shot gun!

Regards

Mathew Shuter.

Guest KevinEndon

Welcome to the forum Mathew, that's brilliant news, not only has your great uncle finally being commemorated but also the fact that you can speak to the person who helped him get the commemoration he deserves and that you will be able to see his records. A fantastic result all round.

If you can add more info on your great uncle we would love to hear his story,

Kevin

Matthew

welcome - this is the really satisfying part of bringing them in from the cold- Pm me your e mail & I will pass on all that I have

Chris

Chris, gauntlett [Mathew] will not be able to PM you or recieve any PM's till he has reached 10 post's.

Kevin

• 8 months later...

Joseph has now been added to the Australian War Memorial's Commemorative Roll

Click Here

• 8 months later...

Mathew

I have recently been researching my family tree and tracing my grandfathers war record which has led me to this site.

Joseph Armand Shuter is my grandfather and I too would

love to find out more about him and would be happy to share my findings so far

Dawn

QUOTE (Will O'Brien @ Dec 25 2008, 06:07 PM) Raising a glass to the memory of Joseph & another to Chris for his part in bringing him in from the cold.

Chris,

I would love to see Joseph Shuter's war record as he was my great Uncle, he was the youngest brother of General Reginald Gauntlett Shuter, my grand father.

We know very little about Joseph other than he was great friends with the royal family and I have his shot gun!

Regards

Mathew Shuter.

Dawn has been in touch with me & all relevant docs have been forwarded

Chris

Looks like his grave has been found courtesy of TWGPP - Kensal Green All Souls; will follow up on this tomorrow as Im off to the Legion AGM. Thanks Dawn for getting my brain going on this one.

Chris

• 2 months later...

Mathew

I have recently been researching my family tree and tracing my grandfathers war record which has led me to this site.

Dawn

Mathew

Dawn

Dawn,

I would love to hear more from you on Joseph Armand, it sounds as if he had a very interesting all be it rather short life, we did not know for sure that he had a child, but there was a roomer.I have seen many letters from him to my grandfather espeshally about his freindship with the king and getting the MVO, very interesting.

Do make contact if you can.

My email is mshuter@btinternet.com

Kind regards

Mathew Shuter