Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Five 3/Worcester Regt Men SAD July 1915

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

One for Rosemary I think.........

Came across the diary entry stating that 5 men of the 3/Worcesters were all shot at dawn on 26 July 1915. The five being Cpl Ives & Ptes Fellows, Hartells, Robinson & Thompson. The reason was desertion.

What is the story behind this - was it a mass desertion or making what appears to be an extreme example to a particular Battalion?

Thanks - Ian

Certainly not a mass desertion according to "Shot at Dawn".

Ives had gone absent on 15/9/14 and was arrested wearing civvies on 24/6/15. Court martial all recommended mercy (at which the book expresses surprise in view of the circumstances)

Fellows went absent as orders were recieved for an attack, in mid June.

No details are given for Hartells.

Robinson & Thompson deserted together on 27/6/15.

Putkowski & Sykes make no case that the executions were connected or were needed for an "extreme example". Seems to be just a set of co-incidences to my reading

John

Guest Ian Bowbrick

John,

Many thanks - without knowing the facts a lot could be read into this. It just appeared to be more of a coincidence that they were all executed on the same day.

Ian

• 1 year later...

The Black Country Bugle (17th March 2005, page 31) mentioned that the Worcestershire Regiment suffered eight executions, including 'six' men on the same day. Could anyone confirm whether there were five or six men executed on the same day? Also, does anyone have any information on the other two Worcestershire men?

The Royal Warwickshire Regiment suffered five executions and the South Staffordshire Regiment suffered four executions during the war. Can anyone verify this information with more details?

Thanks

Ray

The Black Country Bugle (17th March 2005, page 31) mentioned that the Worcestershire Regiment suffered eight executions, including 'six' men on the same day.  Could anyone confirm whether there were five or six men executed on the same day?

According to "Death Sentences passed by military courts of the British Army 1914-24" by Gerard Oram, along with "Shot at dawn" by Putkowski and Sykes, there were just (!) the 5 on this day.

Dave.

Thanks very much.

Any information on the Royal Warwickshire Regiment and the South Staffordshire Regiment executions?

Thanks

Ray

Ray,

The other 3 Worcs were

Pte 8662 O.W. Hodgetts 1st Bn on 4/6/15

Sgt 13216 J.T. Wall 3rd Bn on 6/9/17

Pte 204232 R. Young 11th Bn on 18/9/18

The RWarks

Pte 8747 A. Pitts 2nd Bn on 8/2/15

Pte 1529 S.H. Cunnington 2nd Bn on 19/5/17

Pte 2676 A.G. Earp 1/5th Bn on 22/7/16

Pte 200757 C. Britton 1/5th Bn on 12/9/17

Pte 17402 F. Broadrick 11th Bn on 1/8/17

The SStaffs

Pte 8793 J. Taylor 2nd Bn on 6/11/17

Pte 200945 J. Bateman 2nd Bn on 3/12/17

L/Cpl 9541 F. Hawthorne 1/5th Bn on 11/8/16

Pte 12772 A. Botfield 9th Bn on 18/10/16

Kevin

Thanks again for the information.

Ray

One for Rosemary I think.........

Came across the diary entry stating that 5 men of the 3/Worcesters were all shot at dawn on 26 July 1915. The five being Cpl Ives & Ptes Fellows, Hartells, Robinson & Thompson. The reason was desertion.

What is the story behind this - was it a mass desertion or making what appears to be an extreme example to a particular Battalion?

Thanks - Ian

Hi Ian

I am the writer of the Bugle article and I am sorry to say am in error giving six Worcestershire SAD on the one day. I hope the other details are correct.

A follow up article on Private Bateman is due to be published very shortly and I am just putting the finishing touches to a third piece giving the basic outline for the others. The Bateman article uses the Court Martial papers from the NA but for the other men I have only used 'Shot at Dawn' and 'For the Sake of Example'. The intention is to raise awareness of the fact that these men from the local area or in local regiments suffered as they did. This does not excuse my giving incorrect information and I am pleased that you have pointed it out. Interestingly enough I only joined the Forum a few days ago other wise I would have been none the wiser. I do generally check my scribblings but will do so more rigourously in future.

Best wishes

Graham

The Black Country Bugle (17th March 2005, page 31) mentioned that the Worcestershire Regiment suffered eight executions, including 'six' men on the same day.  Could anyone confirm whether there were five or six men executed on the same day?  Also, does anyone have any information on the other two Worcestershire men?

The Royal Warwickshire Regiment suffered five executions and the South Staffordshire Regiment suffered four executions during the war.  Can anyone verify this information with more details?

Thanks

Ray

Hello Ray

I am the writer of the Bugle article and have managed to make another mistake because I have just posted an explanation to Ian Bowbrick that I think probably should have gone to you. I am new to the Forum and do not seem to have made too good a start. Please accept my apology for the error in the article and for messing up the post - I can only improve.

Concerning the article I am not an expert on SAD but write occasional articles for the Bugle highlighting Great War links with the Black Country and although my articles are not of a scholarly nature they should be accurate. Perhaps it is time to retire.

Hope next time we speak I will not feel a wally.

Graham

Three of the five men shot on 26 July 1915 were from Birmingham and possibly the other two might have been. I wonder what made them desert?

Terry (Birmingham)

Knew I had been there... I have a similar photo to this, and to me it had hardly changed at all

John

post-409-1113173373.jpg

Hi Graham. Thanks for the reply. Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about that one mistake. I thought the article was great. Look forward to future articles.

Thanks

Ray

• 3 weeks later...

Ray,

The other 3 Worcs were

Pte 8662 O.W. Hodgetts 1st Bn on 4/6/15

I find this 8662 number interesting, my fathers was 8769 1st Bn Worcs, and he would have been there at that time, I suppose he would have known about the execution.

Nick