Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Coupon' Election

per ardua per mare per terram

I'm surprised that no one has commemorated the British General Election of 14th December 1918: the first held under universal manhood suffrage and the first in which women could vote since 1832.

I'm surprised that no one has commemorated the British General Election of 14th December 1918: the first held under universal manhood suffrage and the first in which women could vote since 1832.

Yes but the result was crap and it was some women only.

What result would you have preferred?

Not the election of a 'crook' backed by the Tory Party and the splitters from the Liberal Party!

What amazes is the speed with which they were able to get details together after the Representation of the People Act and even more so to get votes and the campaign processed in only a month.

My apologies for leaving out the word 'some;' I thought that I emphasised that it wasn't universal women's suffrage.

That's the trouble when you give people the vote; you don't get to dictate the result! Given the number of potential opponents who lost their seats in 1918, Lloyd George wasn’t exactly opposed by towering giants. Bonar Law hardly seems a better candidate to me.