Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

proficiency pay

Guest KELLYBROD

Guest KELLYBROD

I was curious to find out what proficiency pay was. On my great grandfathers war records it indicates that he was awarded a proficiency pay of 3d. Just wondered what this was?

Thanks

Kelly

Kelly,

Proficiency Pay is defined by articles 1061 through 1079 of the Pay Warrant. If eligible the daily rates were either 6d for class I or 3d for class II. Proficiency Pay can be had via two means after meeting certain eligibility requirements, virtue of rank or by special qualifications. To earn this pay by virtue of rank, N.C.O.s above Serjeant were eligible for Class 1 (6d per diem) and Corporals Class II (3d per diem) provided they meet certain qualifications of art. 1063, e.g. with colours at least two years, physically capable, third class certificate of education etc. To earn this pay by special qualifications for those not qualified by virtue of rank special skill qualifications were set periodically by the Army Council.

Joe Sweeney

In 1902 the Army made moves to improve soldiers' pay. Good Conduct badges already attracted extra. To this was added service pay which, as its name suggests, awarded service and seniority. But between 1904 and 1906 a series of Army Orders and Royal Warrants introduced proficiency pay, on the reasonable assumption that soldiers needed to be 'better' at their craft rather than merely 'older'. Service pay was phased out [a soldier serving before a certain date in 1906 could opt to retain service pay] and soldiers enlisted after mid 1906 were eligible for proficiency pay only. Meanwhile the good conduct badges ceased to attract extra pay except in certain non-european regiments.

I have made myself knowledgeable on this strange and unsung modernisation, and intend to write an article for Stand To! I actually have the demi-official crib, printed in 1907, for Pay sergeants to decide who could have what, and it is a very early and clever algorithm coping valiantly with a wickedly complicated subject.

Finally, as soldiers who enlisted early in 1906 to serve 12 years [or 7 and 5] who opted for service pay rather than proficiency pay, would still be reciving it in 1914 and onwards, unless anyone can correct me. The Pay Warrant 1914 implies this.

Any known examples of soldiers receiving service pay during the war [especially infantry] I would like to hear about.