Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Swaythling Remount Depot, Hampshire

harryfleming

As part of a project to restore the War Shrine at North Stoneham Park, on the edge of Southampton in Hampshire, we are gathering information about the local area during the Great War.

http://www.northstoneham.org.uk/warshrine/history/index.html

In 1914 the Swaythling Remount Depot was constructed at North Stoneham Park to collect, sort, and supply horses for military use overseas. My great-grandfather John Willis Fleming helped set up the Remount Depot (it was on his land), and my grandparents first met there: my grandmother was the daughter of a commander of one of the Remount Depot's squadrons, Captain E S Charrington.

We are making a website about the Swaythling Remount Depot, which will include stories and photographs, and which will go live in January 2009.

I would particularly like to hear from anyone researching men and women (and animals!) who worked at, or passed through, the RD.

With thanks,

Harry

The Willis Fleming Historical Trust

Harry, sorry I can never make it to any of the events you hold in eastleigh: you seem always to manage to pick a day when I'm unavailable. One day we'll meet up.

regarding the Stoneham Remount Depot, the vet I use (and I mean veterinary surgeon, rather than the ghastly American abbrevation of veteran ;) ) has a collection of old glass medicine bottles, some of which were dug up in gardens on the site of the depot. f they'd be of interest, I could ask him if I could photograph them for you.

[steve, we will meet one day... Re your vet and the bottles, yes please! - that would be brilliant to have a photo. I have been told that a very great number of horses were also buried there. I believe the M27 now crosses part of the site, and it would be interesting to know what was found during the road's construction.

Harry

There are two items I can bring to your attention,that is if you haven't attended to them already ! They are both to do with the Romsey Remount Depot but the two seem, on the surface, to be intertwined:

i) War Diary WO95/5466 at Kew,runs from Nov 1914 to Apr 1918,and a book,

ii) The Story of Romsey Remount Depot by Colonel Sir H M Jessel (Abbey Press London1920).

You might get something new out of these.

Sotonmate (wife from Swaythling !)

Hi harry

i did a quick search of the catalogue at Kew and came up with following:

WO 161/117 Drawings, photographs and plans of Winchester East and West Camps, Romsey and Swaythling Remount Depots and Southampton Rest Camp (Hampshire) 1914 Jan 01 - 1915 Dec 31

i may be going up there tomorrow and if i get time will have a look for you.

I work at the University in Southampton and as a student was in Connaught Hall so know the Stoneham area well-fascinated to hear about the remount depot and other sites

Cheers

Dominic

• 5 years later...