Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lee Enfield Rifle case

nemesis

Just noticed a pattern in the images posted by Nemesis, Chris and Grantsmil....

The cases are stamped with an 'S' or an 'L' to identify which rifle they take. Just a small point but an interesting one. The cases are identical save for length and would need to have this size marking.

TM

I did wonder about the slip with the sniper rifle and scope I saw at the auction house all did look ok and it did have some provenance with it. Stating that it had been used post war by a high ranking officer, can`t remember details, as a deer stalking rifle. Of course that does`t mean that the slip and gun were together on active service!

Enclosed pic of troops returning from leave, some with rifle slips some not.

post-33916-1229273831.jpg

Many thanks.

TonyE

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this topic

thanks

max

• 12 years later...
On 13/12/2008 at 18:58, tocemma said:

Hello all,

I have just read through the interesting postings on this thread and would offer the following:

These cases were issued for the carriage of Rifles on limbers and other transport as Chris Henschke has correctly pointed out. As issued they were not fitted with carrying straps and these have been added later. As has been pointed out by both Tony E and Chris, there is a near identical version in webbing which was produced during WW2, again for transportation purposes on vehicles. These quite often turn up with 'aftermarket' carrying straps attached. Like Tony I have used, and still do use, these webbing versions for the carrying of firearms.

They are most definitely not for 'sniper rifles and scopes' For one thing all telescopic sights were issued in fitted cases, not least because they were very expensive precision items. The idea that they would be placed, attached to the weapon, in a fairly flimsy canvas bag is a bit of a non starter. I think this has developed from creative marketing by those trying to sell these cases. I have often seen them described as 'sniper' cases by dealers.

I have had 6 of these cases over the years and only one had a strap attached which was clearly a later addition.

They were introduced respectively, The Mark 1 for the long rifle, November 1910 LofC 14651, and the Mark II for the SMLE, in May 1911 LofC 15471.

They differed in length only and were described as being 'for the protection of rifles when carried on vehicles'

Regards

Tocemma

Does anyone have a scan of these LoCs, by any chance? I am trying to research the official nomenclature of these covers. Also, does anyone know when the webbing style was introduced? The earliest webbing version I have is 1933 dated. Thanks!

All the best,

Karkee

On 14/12/2008 at 13:59, tocemma said:

Just noticed a pattern in the images posted by Nemesis, Chris and Grantsmil....

The cases are stamped with an 'S' or an 'L' to identify which rifle they take. Just a small point but an interesting one. The cases are identical save for length and would need to have this size marking.

TM

I could have done with one of the 'L' slips some years ago.  I travelled to London to the Arms Fair with an M1 Garand in an ordinary, commercial rifle cover.  Fit no problem.  Exchanged it at the fair for a CLLE and found that the cover I had was too short.  Had to carry the rifle with the butt uppermost and sticking out of the cover.  I suspect I might have a problem doing that these days!