Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kenora Trench

Sue Light

Is it possible for someone to give me a map reference for Kenora Trench, in relation to the 1st Canadian Mounted Rifles, October 1916. I seem to think I should be looking in the area near to Tara Hill, but so far the Canadians have got the better of me!

Thanks - Sue

Sue,

I can't help you with a map ref, but, one of the men I am researching, Cyril Hill, 42nd Battalion, (Quebec Reg) was injured (DOW later) in the area of this trench in October 1916. I posted a query for more info on it last November and received several replies with maps etc. If you put Kenora Trench in the site search engine it will bring up my enquiry and answers.

Hope they help.

Regards

IanC

Ian

Thanks so much - I have given myself an extremely hard slap on the wrist. :o It's all there! Searching for others is one thing, but I must remember to search for myself in future!

Regards - Sue

Sue - Kenora Trench is north of the village of Courcelette, and linked up with Regina Trench. There are some details of the fighting there in my book on Courcelette in the 'BE' series. I can see the site of the trench from the back window of my house at Courcelette. Most of the trench was taken on 26th September 1916.

Thankyou Paul - I've got it all present and correct now - it wasn't named on the map I was looking at. But I think it's just a teeny bit below the belt to remind us that you're THERE and we're NOT :(

Sue

I have just re-read Paul's Courcelette book in the BE series, there is none better of those I have read, terrific combination of maps, personal accounts, present day walking the ground & battles themselves.

I have just re-read Paul's Courcelette book in the BE series, there is none better of those I have read, terrific combination of maps, personal accounts, present day walking the ground & battles themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Sue: you probably know this already, but the town of Kenora, for which the trench is undoubtedly named, is located in the northern portion of the province of Ontario, Canada, on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Mat.

Sue: you probably know this already, but the town of Kenora, for which the trench is undoubtedly named, is located in the northern portion of the province of Ontario, Canada, on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Mat.

I hope that I am not too indelicate to point out that the beautiful name "Kenora" was chosen to replace the previous name of "Rat River Portage"!.

Hi..

I hope that I am not too indelicate to point out that
Thanks jhill

Kenora, the city, lies on a lake called "Lake of the Woods" almost at the Ontario- Manitoba border. According to the map on the city's web site it is some 720 km west of Thunder Bay, a major city, on the north shore of Lake Superior.

Best Regards

Janice