Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

In From The Cold - 10.12.08

Terry Denham

CWGC added the following 'new' WW1 casualties to its Debt of Honour database today – Wednesday 10th December.

Pte Frank BOOTH

12284 19th Bn, Manchester Regiment

Died 13.05.18

Buried: Warrington Cemetery, Lancs, UK

Lt Albert ISAACS

5th Bn, Middlesex Regiment

Died 02.09.17 Age 37

Buried: Chatham Memorial Synagogue Burial Ground, Kent, UK

NOT FORGOTTEN

May They Rest In Peace

Any info on who brought Booth "in"?

His service papers are on Ancestry. They show him to have enlisted on 7/9/14 (City Battalions Book of Honour has him as a member of 14 Platoon, "D" Company - listing his service number as 12287). He was a warehouseman - Book of Honour records an F Booth being an employee of George Peak & Co, Portland Street, Manchester - which would be bang on for type of employer & location for such an early joiner of the 4th City Battalion.

He received a GSW to the leg on 23 July 1916 and was discharged on 16/2/18. 23 July was the 19th's worst Somme day - some details on my website here

John

John

he was a serving soldier when he died - see attached

Chris

post-4020-1228938829.jpg

TB was the cause of death

• 5 weeks later...
Any info on who brought Booth "in"?

It was us John! The Manchester Regiment Forum members, working together.

Additional assistance was sort and grateful received from Scholemoor Cemetery, West Yorkshire Archives, and Ms. Martin of Cheshire Records Office, Ms. Lewis of The Bereavement Services at Walton Lea Crematorium, together of course with the MOD and the CWGC

The search as it unfolded can be followed here,

http://themanchesters.org/forum/index.php?topic=1456.30

Where it was played out in full view of the general public, from start to finish.

Wendi

Excellent work, Wendi.

Our "In From The Cold Project" (which you may have heard of, if you've been reading the board before joining up) would never have found him as he's a home death who is not listed on SDGW. It's a good break when other researchers find non-commemorated guys like him. You have to wonder how many more there must be who will never "turn up".

Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

John

Well done everyone, great to see two brought in.

R.I.P.

Andy

Thanks everyone, we are proud of our work too.

Our "In From The Cold Project"

Oh I didn't realize it was "your" project. John !

Why then include in your updates men who have been submitted to the CWGC by others ???

Wendi :)

PS thanks for the welcome

Why then include in your updates men who have been submitted to the CWGC by others ???

CWGC notifies Terry of all new commemorations and he posts the information here for the information of members (and, of course, our many guests).

On the occasions when it's one of "our" volunteers who has found the man or if the Project has processed the case on behalf of a Forum member he mentions this as well. Obviously, as here, when we havn't been involved in the process, he just reports the good news.

John

Oh right :unsure:

I just wondered as the info was added under your "In From The Cold" title. :wacko:

I presume then, you also don't know who did the work behind

Lt Albert ISAACS

5th Bn, Middlesex Regiment

Died 02.09.17 Age 37

Buried: Chatham Memorial Synagogue Burial Ground, Kent, UK

either.

Such a pity.

Perhaps those associated with Lt. Isaacs will also see this thread and come forward too.

That would be nice!

Wendi :)

Wendi

I started this section many years ago and named it 'In From The Cold'. It is the place where I post details of all new WW1 commemorations no matter what their source. If the source is known, I give details. The secondary purpose of the threads is to encourage people to put forward non-com cases.

When I started the IFCP project, I named it after this section of GWF as everyone had become by then familiar with the meaning of the phrase.

I presume then, you also don't know who did the work behind

either.

No, I'm afraid I don't. Could be anyone - family member, his synagogue, a war memorial or local history project, for example.

Hi tisgrannie here, I 'm very surprised that you don't acknowledge its not your own work. Surely it smacks a little of plagerism. Lots of work by other people that folks who drop in your site thinks is yours.

I and the rest of the team worked hard on tracing Frank Booth. Its stuck in your site as though you did it.

Wouldn't it be good practice to state that before you name the men, you mention the fact this is "news from CWGC that these men......."

I also do work on the War Graves Photo project I have come across a few whilst taking pictures that are on family graves and notify the relevent people. Its a massive project.

A little disappointing to see our efforts on your site as though it was yours. We were very happy to find Franks grave. You will see on the link that CWGC acknowledge this.

I hope you read the link wendi put in her email mail to see what kind of work was put in by the team on the Man Regt.

May Isaacs and Booth RIP.

tisgrannie

I also do work on the War Graves Photo project I have come across a few whilst taking pictures that are on family graves and notify the relevent people.

War Graves Photographic Project is really worthwhile and, like In From The Cold, has its semi-formal links with CWGC. . A number of WGPP volunteers are also volunteers with IFCP. The current WGPP newsletter carries a article about the project inviting others to come and join us. Perhaps you'd like to consider joining us and bringing your enthusiasm and expertise. Just drop me a PM or email.

John