Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SURREY REGIMENTS WAR DIARIES DIGITALISED

A Co. 27th Bn.

Thank you for letting us know about this. This is superb - I only have two Surrey men to research, so some people are going to be even more pleased than I am! :D

This is fantastic!!!

I have many E & W Surrey men to research. Many hours of my time have now been saved.

Grateful thanks to those who made this possible

Lets hope others now follow their example

Andy

Thanks, this is superb. It's worth mentioning (and perhaps making clear in the thread title) that this includes the affiliated battalions of the London Regiment:

Affiliated to the East Surreys:

1/21st London Regiment - 142 Bde, 47 Division

1/23rd London Regiment - ditto

2/21st London Regiment - 181 Bde, 60 Division

2/23rd London Regiment - ditto

Affiliated to the QR West Surreys:

2/22nd London Regiment - 181 Bde, 60 Division

1/24th London Regiment - 142 Bde, 47 Division (This one doesnt appear to be online yet)

Hopefully the 1/22nd and 2/24th will follow.

There is a useful thread of war diaries available online.

• 3 years later...

Thanks for this posting and link.

I'm researching the BOURLON operations in November, 1917, and it is excellent to also find the despatch by Lt Col Warden.

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

The Regimental Association has placed the Surreys Diaries on line for research purposes.

They can be accessed here http://qrrarchive.websds.net/menu1.aspx?li=1

Could this be the start of a trend. I hope so.

Ian

Hello Ian,

I have a question regarding the 13th Bn E Surrey's Diary for the end of April, and the beginning of May, 1917.

On the last page for April, 1917, there is an "Appendix 1" which stops (incomplete) at the bottom of the page.

On the calendar for May, 1917, the first week (1 to 8th May) is unavailable.

My question is regarding the remainder of the Appendix 1, and I assume it continued onto the first page for May.

My grandfather was with the 14th Highland Light Infantry and was killed at Villers Plouich, when his regiment were called in to support the 13th E Surreys as they captured Villers Plouich.

I would be extremely grateful if you could 'find' the Diary pages for the 1st week in May, 1917, or at least the remainder of the Appendix 1 entitled "The Attack on Villers Plouich 24th April 1917".

If not, can you 'point' me in another direction?

Kindest Regards,

Tom.

P.S. This is a tremendous resource you have provided. I congratulate you very much.

Superb resource - thanks for posting the link and to those of the Regimental Association for the work that must have been involved.