Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 Bn Royal Irish Rifles 1914 August - 1915 October

ulsterlad2

2 Bn Royal Irish Rifles 1914 August - 1915 October

I have this unit's diaries covering the above dates.

If you'd like a look up for a specific date(s) don't

hesitate to send the requests. :)

Could I please have the war diary readout for these;

MURPHY, JOHN. Rank: Rifleman. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 27-October-1914. Service No: 7073

and

O’KEEFE, THOMAS. Rank: Rifleman. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 24-October-1914.

and LEE, ROBERT. Rank: Sergeant. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 27-October-1914. Service No: 9111

and MADDEN, JOHN. Rank: Rifleman. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 27-October-1914. Age at Death, 24. Service No: 7902.

and

MURPHY, MICHAEL. Rank: Rifleman. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles.

Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 26-October-1914. Age at Death; 27

and

THOMPSON, WILLIAM. Rank: Rifleman. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Rifles. Unit; 2nd Bn. Date of Death: 17-July-1915.

Man thanks in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom

Hi Tom.

I'll have a look and see what the battalion was up to on those dates you mention. Though tbh, private soldiers (by name) are rarely mentioned.

Hi Tom. As mentioned in the Etiquette banner at the top, Soldiers of ordinary rank are rarely mentioned by name in War Diaries. But, if it is of interest to you, here is what is recorded (I think) on the dates you mentioned. Being hand written and in pencil, some of it is hard to make out. Each ?? represents a word that I just can't read.

24th Oct 14. Neuve Chapelle

The enemy's fire became ?? with increasing casualties. The recoil s firing of the field gun in the centre of the front line of trenches broke & went out of action. The field gun in the trenches on the left remained in action. The enemy commenced a severe bombardment of Neuve Chapelle from the heavy guns at La Basse and from a heavy gun to our left front. The shells from La Basse arriving in series of fours. A ?? ?? of ?? was fired but chiefly high explosive. Soon after dark a determined attack was made by the enemy in considerable strength but was replused with heavy casualites judging by the noise made by German wounded lying in front of the trenches. Some prisoners wounded & unwounded were taken. Our casualties were not heavy.

26th Oct 14. Neuve Chapelle

Major Daunt having gone sick. Captain CS Dixon took over command of the Batt. B Coy in trenches, D Coy in support, A & C were ordered back to Billets at Richebourg St. Vaast. Enemy ?? ?? ?? in the vicinity of B & D Coys (commanded by Lieut Finlay & Lieut Innes-Cross). no further trace of these Coys or the officers commanding them could be attained. In the ?? ?? A & C Coys were ?? up into the firing line from Richebourg St. Vaast. That night the enemy was driven back and A & C Coys re-occupied the trenches. Major J Ryan DSO R Munster Fusiliers took over command of the Batt from Capt Dixon that evening.

27th Oct 14 Neuve Chapelle

The trenches to the left of A&C Coys being reoccupied by our own troops, the enemy about 7am got round on left flank and rear, after these two Coy had suffered very severe ?? from shrapnel, howitzer and rifle fire and Capt Dixon had sent repeated ?? for support. He was obilged to ?? these 2 Coys ?? the village of Neuve Chapelle (250 yards in rear) to prevent the enemy getting round in the rear of the Brigade. Only 2 officiers and about 46 NCOs & men succeeded in getting back out of a total of 5 officers and about 250 NCOs & men. Capt Davis being killed, Lieut Mulcamy-Morgan wounded & missing and ?? Jonsson missing, all these were Special Reserve Officiers. The fighting strength of the Batt was under 200. The Batt that evening went into Billets at Richebourg St. Vaast. Capts Drought, Jonsson, Davis and Lieut Eldred Inniskilling Fusiliers joined the Batt. (me: Not sure what they mean here as Jonsson & Davis are already recorded as missing, Killed)

Casualties over this period are recorded as

24th Oct. Wounded Capt Kennedy. Other ranks, 2 killed 27 wounded.

25th Oct. Killed Capt Reynolds, Lt Rea. Wounded Lt Lowry, 2nd Lt Leville. Other ranks, 20 killed 56 wounded.

26th Oct Other ranks 20 wounded.

27th Oct. Killed Capt Davis. Wounded (also missing) Mulcamy Morgan. Missing Capt Jonsson, Lt Finlay, Lt Innes-Cross. (no info on other ranks)

17th July 15.

In Bivouac. (Looks as if the Batt marched from the trenches on 12th July and was in Bivouac Square G.II.C from 12th July to 21st July and marched to trenches near St. Eloi that day)

Hi Spud. CSM McGibney is not mentioned by name. However the NCOs & ranks are praised. The diary entry for June 16th 1915 is quite detailed (45 lines of hand written text) Casualties that day are recorded as 13 (named) officers and about 300 other ranks.

Thats brilliant!!! many thanks for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

• 2 years later...

hi Ulsterlad 2

is the offer still open?looking for information on 25th sept 1915,concerning the death of LT AVERELL DIGGES LA TOUCHE.thanks for your help,nev

Hi Nev. He is listed on the casualty list for that day but not specifically in the diary entry for the 25th.

Recored as: LT AVERILLE D. LA TOUCHE 5th Royal Irish Rifles

pm me your email address if you'd like the 25ths diary entry.

• 2 months later...

Wow - I'd love to have the diaries for the 2nd to look at.

Have been researching my great grandfather

Name: MULLAN, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: "G" Coy., 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 28/11/1915

Service No: 6637

Additional information: Husband of Mrs. M. Mullan, of 6, Darraghs Lane, Church St.. Newtownards.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: B. 4.

Cemetery: LE BIZET CEMETERY, ARMENTIERES

Have always been interested in the 'G' company listing - don't quite understand it and no one else has been able to explain it to me yet.

Normally A, B, C and D - is this because the Battalion has lost so many men that they renamed the companies as a mark of respect.

He is also buried beside these brave men and they were all involved in the same incident which I have found reference to in 'There's a Devil in the Drum'.

DOHERTY , F Lance Serjeant 9002 Royal Irish Rifles 28/11/1915 24 B. 2.

ERSKINE , G Corporal 8644 Royal Irish Rifles 28/11/1915 Unknown B. 3.

MACKENZIE, MAURICE, M Lieutenant Royal Army Medical Corps 28/11/1915 28 B. 1.

Any additional information I can find about about any of them I would most value.

Getting really interested also in all of the battles and events surrounding the 2nd Battalion between early Nov 1914 and Dec 1915 when my great grandfather was with them.

I would love to trace and chart where he was over that time and perhaps sometime in the future I'll take my father out and we'll follow the route and visit the battlefields.