Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Fitzmaurice 1/K.S.L.I.

Annette Burgoyne

Hi everyone

Just wondering if any pals from Birmingham or Cong Co. Mayo can help.

Soldiers Died records that 13856 Pte. Fitzmaurice of 1/K.S.L.I., killed 26/4/17, was born at St. George's Birmingham but C.W.G.C. records "Son of Edward and Ellen Fitzmaurice, of 37, New Park St., Castlefields, Shrewsbury. Born at Cong, Co. Mayo."

Which is correct ?

Thanks in advance

Annette

Annette................Had a quick look on the 1901 Census & found the Fitzmaurice Family living at 2 Alexandra Place, Hyde Road, Edgbaston, Birmingham................A large family it was too..........

Edward & Ellen Fitzmaurice both aged 42 & both listed as being born in Ireland. Edward was a Railway Clerk. Edward & Ellen had six children.

Thomas aged 19 & a Railway Porter

Edward aged 15 & a Ironer Fitter (whatever one of those was)

John aged 10 (your chap)

Henry aged 8

Ellen aged 5

Michael aged 10 Months

All the children are listed as being born in Birmingham.

Thanks Will

I missed your post yesterday, do not how ?

So Birmingham it is, but can the Census be trusted ? Accorrding to census returns over a forty year span my great grandfather was born in Neen Savage, Kinlet, Baveney Wood and Cleobury Mortimer :blink: it must be said that all four places are close together.

Thanks again

Annette

Thanks Will

I missed your post yesterday, do not how ?

So Birmingham it is, but can the Census be trusted ? Accorrding to census returns over a forty year span my great grandfather was born in Neen Savage, Kinlet, Baveney Wood and Cleobury Mortimer :blink: it must be said that all four places are close together.

Thanks again

Annette

Ah the million dollar question.................Given the laws of probability, my guess is that the census is correct..........but you never know :( ......................If perhaps any of John's elder siblings had been listed as born in Ireland, I would be less sure...............The only sure way of finding out is to go to the length of obtaining his birth certificate.

Name: FITZMAURICE, JOHN MARTIN

Initials: J M

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Shropshire Light Infantry

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 26/04/1917

Service No: 13856

Additional information: Son of Edward and Ellen Fitzmaurice, of 37, New Park St., Castlefields, Shrewsbury. Born at Cong, Co. Mayo.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 20.

Cemetery: VERMELLES BRITISH CEMETERY

regards

gordon

• 8 months later...

Annette

John M is 12 in the 1901 census, not 10 as stated earlier (see image below).

I have also found the family in the 1891 census when John M was 2. In addition, the birth of the elder brother Edward Matthew is recorded (www.1837online.com) as being in Birmingham, so I would suggest that the evidence points towards John M being born in Birmingham.

Regards

Steve

Hi Steve

Did the 1891 or 1901 census record where Pte John Martin, Fitzmaurice parents came from, may be the C.W.G.C. info. is referring to the parents coming from Cong, Co. Mayo.

Hi David

South Mayo F amily records centre Main St Ballinrobe

Will use the above if no more info. comes my way. Thanks.

Hi Gordon

Thanks for posting full C.W.G.C. info. I never thought to do this.

Annette

Annette

The CWGC info will refer to the casualty and not to the parents.

Even though the other evidence all points to Birmingham, the CWGC version is interesting as the information came from the Final Verification Form completed by the next-of-kin in the early 1920s. You would have thought that they knew where he had been born!

Unless they misunderstood the form and entered their own birthplace.

Annette

There is a registration of a marriage in Birmingham in 1880 between Edward Fitzmaurice and Ellen Joyce. These could be John's parents and if so would indicate that their son was likely to have been born in Birmingham. Interestingly there is also a registration of birth for a John Edward Fitzmaurice 1889 Birmingham which fits in with John Martin's age. How sure are you about the name Martin ?

Myrtle