Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

H.M.S Torrent and S.S "Tycho"

Kevin Stillyards

Hi all,

Im looking for any information about HMS Torrent and a crew member -

John Neave Stoker 1st Class.

Also SS tycho and crew member - G H Howson Steward.

Thanks Kev

HMS Torrent Destroyer 1069 tons launched 26.11.16

Sunk by mine North Sea 23.12.17

SS Tycho 3216 tons

Attacked by submarine torpedo 21.03.15 in the Downs but it missed.

Attacked again by torpedo 20.05.17 and sunk 16 miles off Beachy Head, Sussex. 15 killed

Three of the casualties are buried in Sussex at Rottingdean (St Margaret) Churchyard - Harry Bateman, James Short and one unknown.

Hi,

SS Tycho [Hull]. She was built in 1904 by Earle's Ship Building & Eng., Co. Owned by Westcott & Laurence Lines Ltd., and was managed by Ellerman Lines

Ltd., Liverpool.

She was sunk by UB40 whilst enroute from Bombay to Hull with a general cargo.

Name: HOWSON, GEORGE HENRY

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Mercantile Marine

Unit Text: S.S. "Tycho" (Hull)

Date of Death: 20/05/1917

Additional information: Son of Albert and Jane Elizabeth Howson, of 6, Church St., Coxhill, Lincs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Cemetery: TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Arthur

Taffrail account.

"The Germans had laid an extensive minefield off the Dutch coast, and four destroyers, accompanying a convoy, the Surprise, Torrent, Tornado and Radiant ran into it.

One of the vessels struck a mine, and a second went to help her, only to be blown up herself. A similar fate met the third ship, while she was trying to rescue the crews of the other two. The Surprise, Torrent and Tornado had gone. Only the Radiant was left. Her captain, Commander Geffrey F.S. Nash, knew what had happened; but undeterred by the horrible danger, steamed his ship to the spot where the survivors were struggling in the icy water, lowered his boats and was the means of saving many lives. Several of the Radiant's officers and men jumped overboard to save drowning men.

Barely a quarter of the crews of the three ships survived. But not one of them would have been saved if it had not been for the coolness and gallantry of the Radiant's captain. How his ship ever got clear without coming to grief is a mystery. When the chart of the German minefields was delivered up after the Armistice, it was discovered that over 400 "eggs" had been deposited in this particular locality."

Hi,

I have found an error in my previous mail sent regarding SS Tycho. She was owned by Wilson Line Ltd, Hull, not Westcott & Laurence Lines Ltd, as previously stated.

Sorry for any confussion this may have caused.

Arthur

• 2 years later...
Hi all,

Im looking for any information about HMS Torrent and a crew member -

John Neave Stoker 1st Class.

Also SS tycho and crew member - G H Howson Steward.

Thanks Kev

John ( Jack) Neave was my great uncle. Do you have any information on him?

Kevin, from the Tower Hill Memorial:

HOWSON, G H, GEORGE HENRY, Mess Room Steward, Mercantile Marine, Tycho (Hull) S.S., sunk 20-May-1917, aged 17, Drowned, as a result of an attack by an enemy submarine, Son of Albert and Jane Elizabeth Howson, of 6, Church St., Coxhill, Lincs.

The U-boat was the UB 40 which torpedoed the Tycho 16 miles W½S from Beachy Head Lighthouse.

Best wishes

David