Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Kenneth Cumming Stiven

Chris_Baker

Wounded accidentally in March 1917

Died at home in January 1920

No doubt whatever of the circumstances, all defined in great detail in his service record.

I am discussing with his family whether they wish to pursue and will let you know.

I'm probably going to come in for a bit of stick for saying this :o but - Personally "I never bother asking the family if I can submit a case (if I'm aware of them which isn't very often in any case). As far as I'm concerned I'm doing it for the CASUALTY and the country itself. NOT members of a man's family who may now happen to be pacifists, tree huggers or potential future Concientious Objectors! I do however try to keep them informed of any developments though...

Luckily I have never found a family that objects in any case. It would be a very odd reaction in my book.

• 4 years later...

Wounded accidentally in March 1917

Died at home in January 1920

No doubt whatever of the circumstances, all defined in great detail in his service record.

I am discussing with his family whether they wish to pursue and will let you know.

I am new to this site and came across these postings about 2nd Lt. Kenneth Cumming Stiven while researching my family history.

On the CWGC site it says:

"This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information."

So I presume you have been successful in getting him commemorated, if so, a big "Thank You" to all involved.

I've discovered from his probate record that he died in the special surgical neurological hospital Tooting, London. In the death notice in the local newspaper, Derby Evening Telegraph, it says that he died 19th January 1920 after an operation for wounds received on active service. There was also an account of his funeral, which was held 23rd January 1920 at St Michael's church, Derby. He was then buried at Uttoxeter Road cemetery, Derby.

Also from DET, the day after he died there was a dinner for all men who had returned from the war and had attended St Michael's church. The vicar informed those assembled of Kenneth's death and they all stood for a minute's silence for him.

I was interested in the information you have that he was "wounded accidentally". Have you any more information about this?

Thanks again.

Karen

STIVEN, KENNETH CUMMING

Rank:LieutenantDate of Death:19/01/1920Age:24Regiment/Service:Leicestershire Regiment 7th Bn. Panel ReferenceAddenda PanelMemorialBROOKWOOD (UNITED KINGDOM 1914-1918) MEMORIAL

Hi Karen

Drop me a PM please & I will put you touch with the right person

His commemoration will in due course be moved to his grave as I have reported it to CWGC

Chris

• 10 months later...

I am new to this site and came across these postings about 2nd Lt. Kenneth Cumming Stiven while researching my family history.

On the CWGC site it says:

"This casualty has recently been accepted for commemoration by the Commission. However, it will not be possible to add his name to this Memorial immediately. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit, for more information."

So I presume you have been successful in getting him commemorated, if so, a big "Thank You" to all involved.

I've discovered from his probate record that he died in the special surgical neurological hospital Tooting, London. In the death notice in the local newspaper, Derby Evening Telegraph, it says that he died 19th January 1920 after an operation for wounds received on active service. There was also an account of his funeral, which was held 23rd January 1920 at St Michael's church, Derby. He was then buried at Uttoxeter Road cemetery, Derby.

Also from DET, the day after he died there was a dinner for all men who had returned from the war and had attended St Michael's church. The vicar informed those assembled of Kenneth's death and they all stood for a minute's silence for him.

I was interested in the information you have that he was "wounded accidentally". Have you any more information about this?

Thanks again.

Karen

Hi Karen,

Please drop me a PM, might have some more interesting information for you regarding the above.

Kate