Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dead Man's pennys

reds1510

My family has my great uncles Dead Man's penny and the photo of himself. The penny is encased in a wooden frame, and I was wondering if this was a common occurence? The frame has been specially made for the penny and I am unable to view the makers mark on the back.

My uncle was Thomas Moore, Driver 35697 with the Royal Field Artillery. He was K.I.A on the 8th September 1918, age 26 and is buried at Bertenacre Military Cemetery, Fletre, France. I also have a copy of his medal card, which states that he was past from L/Bdr to Dvr on the 22/1/18 and that he entered France on the 26/11/15. He was the son of Robert and Margaret Moore of Sandy Row, Belfast.

If anyone would be able to tell me more information about him or how he died would be much appreciated. In fact any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Pauline

Pauline,

You can tell the place of manufacture from the front. A Woolwich plaque has a number between Lions rear leg and tail, an Acton Plaque has the number to the left of the rear leg.

My Australian plaque has no number, not sure why this is. I suspect it might be Acton one.

Neil

There are rear marks on Woolich plaques in impressed in the bronze, however it's not necessary to view the back to determine the place of production.

Neil

Soldiers Died Info:

Manner of Death: KIA

Born: Belfast

Enlisted: Belfast

Formally 41059 RAMC (Royal Army Medical Corps)

Neil

Wooden (and other) surrounds for memorial plaques are (were) quite common. They come in a wide variety of sizes and designs, all bought privately. I respect them as they represent the bereaved people`s attempt at commemoration and a manifestation of their grief and loss.

Link to some previous Plaque Mounting posts...Posts1

Soldiers Died Info:

Manner of Death: KIA

Born: Belfast

Enlisted: Belfast

Formally 41059 RAMC (Royal Army Medical Corps)

Neil

Thank you Neil I didn't know that he was in the Medical Corps so that is very interesting. Can I ask where you found the information from?

I'm never to sure what the relevence of the maker of a plaque is.