Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Thomas Powell Lilliman

k.beedy

I m searching for information on my great uncle, Henry thomas Powell Lilliman or Lilliman Powell. I have his Medal roll and pensioners records. I am hoping to find out more about his service. He lost his right eye in Palenstine December 1917, according to the medical records. He also suffered from shell shock. I have 3 regimental numbers, 203620, 201529 and then the RAMC 473555. He enlisted in Wakefield Yorkshire november 24th, 1914. The writing is faint but this is what I deciphered from his enlistment page.

11th Supply corp 6th West Yorks # 1028

19th ?????? batt G.B. 751

Pleas can someone shed some light on all this for me? Any help much appreciated.

Karen

Karen,

It looks like 19th Western Batt R.B. (i.e. Rifle Brigade).

See this link, it shows the 19th went to Egypt.

I see on your great uncle's papers the wording "DECEASED", do you know when he died?

David

Hi Karen

As a matter of interest,how did he come to be in Yorkshire from Pontypridd in 1901. I know he was a male nurse from the census and his records. Can't find his Death Reg'n. I see he has 2 MICs and was discharged on 2.4.19 It looks as though he enlisted into the RAMC on 24.11.14 and he was a Corporal at what date I don't know. He certainly moved around. Can a MIC expert look at the 2 MICs and make sense of the dates from the SWB list????

Regards Barry

Unfortunely I have been unable to find a death record for him and am still searching. The fact that I don't really know what name he was buried with doesn't help. This is part of my geneological nightmare of sorting out my grandfather's family. To the best of my knowledge he was born Henry Thomas Davies. Lilliman is a man my great mother appears to have been married to. The powell name remains a mystery, My grandfather was James Davies Powell, so two of the children used the Powell name. But that is a search that doesn't belong on this forum. James also served in WW1 although he was in the regular army from 1905. I have James's full service records, but they don't make a lot of sense to me I'm afraid. I do know that he went to France.......

Karen

Karen,

It looks like 19th Western Batt R.B. (i.e. Rifle Brigade).

See this link, it shows the 19th went to Egypt.

I see on your great uncle's papers the wording "DECEASED", do you know when he died?

David

Hi Barry,

My great grandmother Emma moved from Wiltshire to Wales with her brother and sister in the 1870's. She seems to have married a coal miner by the name of Thomas Davies. It appears they had Henry Thomas (or Thomas Henry) and perhaps Peter then moved to Castleford Yorkshire where they had Bertha and James (my grandfather). In 1891 Emma was living with George Lilliman, until he died in 1893. She then moved to Wakefield area and married or remarried Thomas Davies in 1894. All 4 children seems to have used different last names. By birth certificates we have proof that James and Bertha were the Children of Thomas Davies and Emma. I was hoping to find something in Henry's military records to link him as well, but medical records were all I could find. All this started when I recieved my granfather James's service records. I never had the chance to meet him and am trying to find out about his life. Sorry if this is long and off topic but you did ask....lol

Does anyone have a war diary for the 19th that might shed some light on Henry's injury?

Karen

Hi Karen

As a matter of interest,how did he come to be in Yorkshire from Pontypridd in 1901. I know he was a male nurse from the census and his records. Can't find his Death Reg'n. I see he has 2 MICs and was discharged on 2.4.19 It looks as though he enlisted into the RAMC on 24.11.14 and he was a Corporal at what date I don't know. He certainly moved around. Can a MIC expert look at the 2 MICs and make sense of the dates from the SWB list????

Regards Barry

Hi Karen

Thanks for the info. I don't think it is off topic when we are trying to find info. about a ww1 soldier. I believe, and have proved it, that you can trace someone by following the family especially when they are spread out with a couple of marriages thrown in. I know who I'll be looking for tonight!!

Regards Barry

• 1 year later...

I m searching for information on my great uncle, Henry thomas Powell Lilliman or Lilliman Powell. I have his Medal roll and pensioners records. I am hoping to find out more about his service. He lost his right eye in Palenstine December 1917, according to the medical records. He also suffered from shell shock. I have 3 regimental numbers, 203620, 201529 and then the RAMC 473555. He enlisted in Wakefield Yorkshire november 24th, 1914. The writing is faint but this is what I deciphered from his enlistment page.

11th Supply corp 6th West Yorks # 1028

19th ?????? batt G.B. 751

Pleas can someone shed some light on all this for me? Any help much appreciated.

Karen

I am still hoping to find some help on my search for my great uncle.....anyone?