Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Databases Conference

purley

At long last we have got around to organising a conference in Salisbury for the weekend of May 8/9 for people interested in swapping experiences on building regimental databases. In our previous trawl I got the following possible names

Bob Coulson - Green Howards

Lesley - Ox and Bucks

Charles Fair - 19th London

Michael - Buffs

Annette Burgoyne - KSLI

March Thompson Hampshires

Chris Baker

Cliff Houseley - Sherrwood Foresters

Jock Bruce - Saeaforths

Rodge Dowson

Kate Wills

Langley Baston RW Fusiliers

Drummy - Lancs Fusiliers

Dave Nich - Monmouths

Sue T

R Flory RA

Michael

John W

Ivor Lee - Labour Corps

Jim Parker - MGC

Joe Devereaux Kings Liverpools and Glosters

we cover Wiltshires and Royal Berks

I have heard of several others - but if even half could come it would be a great event. We do not intend a detailed critique of database techniques, rather an opportunity to swap experiences and listen to a few people relating hwo they did it and where they get their information and more importantly what they do with it.

We have been offered the full facilities of the RGBW Museum in Salisbury and the use of the RGBW Library and Regimental Room. There are plenty of good hotels within a few minutes walk of the cathedral close.

The outline programme is

Sat 8th May

meet up 1100 for coffee and welcome

Visits to museum and archives

buffet lunch at 1230

4 or five speakers in afternoon with afternoon tea served midway

Three course dinner at 2000 with half bottle of wine and senior speaker

Sun 9th May

General Forum to discuss issues raised

end at 1230

The cost to cover all the catering and incidental expenses (eg museum attendant overtime) will be £35 - Guests for dinner only £25 (bring your better halves) - Salisbury is a fascinating place to visit and shop!! Hotel costs will be extra if you need it - we hope to get a good special rate at one particular spot.

Full details will be sent to any who reply by e-mail - please give me your e-mail address, mailing address and regimental interest. Also would you be willing to speak for 10-20 mins?

please pass on to anyone else you know who may be interested

reply to John@purley.demon.co.uk

John

I am sorry but I will not be able to make the weekend.

Living in beautiful Speyside has many advantages, and not just the Malt!, but some disadvantages when it comes to travel.

However I will there in spirit and, as you know, more than willing to assist in any way I can.

Hi John

I am very interested, I'll will do my best to get to it but can not yet promise to be there. I will email you with address etc.

Annette

While I am not on your list, I have done a lot of work on the Royal Sussex Regiment, among others.

While I would love to attend this event, I will be flying out to Italy then for a trip round the WW2 battlefields and the 60th anniversary of Monte Cassino.

If you have a future meeting, I would be happy to attend, if you think I could be of some help?

I'd like to attend, too, but I have a commitment to attend a family history day at the King's Liverpool Museum that day. I hope it goes well for you and that there are future meetings I can get to.

Ken

John

I too would love to come but my wife is having an op the previous week and I don't want to leave her at home with the kids over the weekend.

Please bear me in mind for future events.

Michael

I may be able to attend, but expect to start a new job with one of two museums or archives in April, so I am far from certain at this point in time.

Rodge Dowson

Researching Ryedale WWI & WWII, Swindon Men WWI, Manchester Scots WWI.

Apologies to all and sundry but we have had to change the date of the conference to the weekend 29/30 May 2004 - all those who have replied will be e-mailed. Still some places left.

swap experiences and listen to a few people relating how they did it and where they get their information and more importantly what they do with it

Purley

For the benefit of those who are very interested but unable to make it to Salisbury will you please post a resume of the occasion afterwards? Many thanks

swap experiences and listen to a few people relating how they did it and where they get their information and more importantly what they do with it

Purley

For the benefit of those who are very interested but unable to make it to Salisbury will you please post a resume of the occasion afterwards? Many thanks

Chris - will do - am putting all who give me their e-mail address on a separate list - send me a direct e-mail

John Chapman

• 1 month later...

Just bringing this to the top to see who might be going. Bearing in mind that the conference has now been reduced to 1 day and is now on Saturday, 29th May.

Marc

• 4 weeks later...

John - just wanted to thank you and David Chilton for the event today. It was very helpful to meet and learn from others, I certainly picked up several things that I should do in the future, and some sources that I should use. Relational is clearly the way to go. Im now trying to find 40 volunteers so that I can emulate what you are doing with the RBGW.

Charles

John - just wanted to thank you and David Chilton for the event today.

I would like to echo the sentiments from Charles and thank those who did short presentations. I can now see how much work I have got on my hands over the next few years.

Marc