Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sapper Marjorie Armstead

deano

Hi, i have a blurred photo of this lady the caption states that she went from the Sheffield post office to France as a telegrapist.

Why the 'sapper' bit?

Would she have a military record somewhere? Medals? I have tried the usual places but not found anything, any help much appreciated.

Dean.

I'm quite sure the last name is Armstead, but the E could just be an R.

Dean

Members of the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps (from 1918 Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps) served in Royal Engineers Signals and Postal units, and I imagine that this was where Marjorie Armstead fitted in. She would not actually have had the rank of 'Sapper', she would have been a 'Worker' or 'Forewoman' etc., but presumably these women somehow took on unofficial army rank within these units - possibly because they were doing exactly the same job as the men.

If she served in France she should have a medal index card, although as pointed out previously there is nothing for that name. Maybe it would be worth looking more closely at census returns and local records to confirm both forename and surname.

Sue

post-17978-1228153220.jpg

Heres Marjorie, just for interest.

thanks Sue,

Dean

From the BMDs it looks as though she was actually registered in the name of Elsie Marjorie Armstead, in the March quarter of 1895, registration district Eccleshall Bierlow. Although that doesn't help with finding a medal index card for her. Perhaps either mis-transcribed, or maybe she married during the war and any records are in a married name.

Sue

Hi

Elsie Armstead married one Alfred Richardson 1st qtr 1922 @ Bradford, Yorks. (9b, 189) Probably the same lady. With mother, father, g/mother and Aunt on 1901 census RG13, Piece 4346, Folio 30, Page 25

Regards Barry

You might have to consider the possibility that the newspaper report is inaccurate about her service, in the same way it was about her rank. The press of the day often got things wrong, as they do today of course.

TR

Sue, i saw that too. The 1901 census have them at 165 Totley Brook Road, Sheffield. I also thought about her getting married and her name changing, so thanks also to Barry for the marriage details.

Terry, spot on, 8 years ago i would have taken the papers photo and caption as gospel, not now though after all the research i've done!

regards,

Dean.