Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Overseas Index request

Hywyn

Newspaper reports dated 29/1/1918 state that his family had been informed that John was killed in Egypt aged 24. He is spelt as Mycock in the paper and on two memorials.

I have not entirely ruled out the only possible, AB John Mycock RND (31/12/1917 in France) yet. The Egypt bit in the paper could be wrong but having said that they also refer to him as Pte.

I wonder if anyone with access to the Overseas Index could check him for late 1917, early 1918.

TIA

hywyn

Thanks for the prompt reply Jim.

The first one in YLI is on CWGC for 28th March.

John T 69079 Notts and Derby is on as 21/3/1916. (So we got a possible typo there to explore if nothing else!)

That leaves 20017 in North Staffs unaccounted for. I'll have a look around for him now.

Thanks

Hywyn

Hmm. I must say I'm confused.

John Mycock 20017 on SDGW comes back as DoW 15/2/1917. On CWGC his number is 202588. There is no John Mycock in Medals with 20017 but there is for 202588 who was previously 7013 same unit (North Staffs).

John T Mycock 60697 is on SDGW as KIA 21/3/1918 (CWGC 1916) and his previous was 25288 in North Staffs. His medal card however does not reflect this number which is surprisingly similar to the above John Mycock.

Neither, however, come into the frame as the one I'm searching for. (Age, family and geography. I have Census info confirming 'my' one as Bethesda, North Wales)

For my notes are you able to confirm that the database you searched includes Egypt?

I'll draw Terry's attention to the typo re John 60697 if he hasn't spotted this in a few days.

Thanks

Hywyn

Ok, thanks Jim, I thought it might be but wanted to confirm it.

The RND database gives a dob for that John Mycock in March 1894 and the only one in FreeBMD that quarter is at Bangor which where 'my' John would have been registered. Also the Census info for my John indicates that year as a possible. I'll give it some thought and maybe check some of the other newspapers.

Thanks for your help

Hywyn

Hywyn

The GRO Index has its fair share of typos as well and so is not 100% reliable.

However, on this occasion it is a CWGC scan error.

In hand.