Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Park Hall Camp, Oswestry

daggers

It is a few years since the army left Park Hall but it will be remembered by many who started their NS there, and even older chaps, as its history goes back to WW1.

Has any history of the military presence been published?

Daggers

Dave

Thanks for that. I wonder if anyone has gone deeper into the history.

D

To my knowledge, nobody has. There was a site of a POW camp and long gone POW cemetery which i believe i've found the location of.

I've found a few curious training accidents which resulted in death there, but, that's it i'm affraid.

Neil

Neil

That's a pity, as many different types of training must have been carried out there, and a few tales could be told. Perhaps the county library could be persuaded to appeal for more detail?

Daggers

I know the Kenyon family of Pradoe Estate, had a long association with the camp. Not sure how far back, Lt.Col. John Frederick Kenyon OBE MC commanded the 17th Training Regiment Royal Artillery around WW2, the colours are still located in the local church.

Neil

I believe that there is still a T.A. presence there, unless I am thinking of the wrong camp.

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...

Neil

Thanks for that. I remember playing cricket one evening against the nearby Orthopaedic Hospital for an army team (not The Army Team!) when the opposition included at least one patient - memory tries to tell me he was on crutches, but that may be just an improved tale), and we were interrupted by a herd/posse or whatever of horses cantering across the pitch. Cricket at its coarsest if not its best.

D