Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

map request details

mick1234

Hello all,

I have a query that some Pal may be able to help with. I am currently studying the war Diary of the 1st Bn Irish Guards, Battle of Festubert 15-25 May 1915. and I note that there is reference to a map. I have searched Documents on line and I cant find anywhere I can check if this map exists. I am wondering if someone with more expierence than I in these matters can check and point me in the right direction.

The reference in the War Diary states,

ref map,

illies, lorgies

festubert sheet

1/10,000.

How can I get a hold of this map, :blink:

Regards,and thanks,

Mick.

Using "Linesman package" to join 2 maps together here's a shot of the Festubert area, the nearest maps I have, are dated July 1915...

regards

Tom

post-5284-1227881669.jpg

ref map,

illies, lorgies

festubert sheet

1/10,000.

How can I get a hold of this map, :blink:

There's possibly an extract remaining with the actual war diary that they haven't put online, but you'll have to contact the NA (or the guards archives?) to find out. May 1915 pre-dates the first "true" (British) trenchmap, but trench sketch maps did exist, sometimes handrawn and sometimes locally printed. They are sometimes superimposed on existant French maps also. I suspect that the reference is for one of these sketch/trench diagram maps and so your best bet would almost certainly be one of the afforementioned archives.

Dave.