Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd R.Irish Rifles account

Guest Desmond6

Guest Desmond6

For the sake of speed, can someone tell me what action this man is referring to.

With the Royal Irish Rifles in Flanders on 16th June 1915

Cpl. Robert Platt, Portglenone.

Cpl. Platt of 2nd RIR writes home to his father, Mr. John Platt, gardener, Portglenone House, describing the battle on the above date, in which the rifles distinguished themselves and lost a large number of men.

"Since last I wrote to you we were in a charge and it was awful. We started out the night before and marched 13 miles. We arrived at the place about half past one in the morning so that we were put into an old trench and told to await orders so you can have an idea that our nerves were strung to the highest pitch.

"So, the Germans started to rain shells into us but then our artillery opened fire on the German trenches. The row was awful. The whole sky was just in one great blaze with bursting shells. Sharp at three o‚clock the order came down our lines to fix bayonets and to load our rifles and 10 minutes later down came the order to charge so we all rushed over the trench but a good few of our boys fell on the parapet as the Germans had their machine guns trained on us but on we went and as one fell, another took his place.

"We arrived at the German trench and when it came to the steel they could not match is and I am proud to say that I put a few out with the bayonet myself. Although one does not think of it at the time, one does think of it after the excitement is over.We took over 200 prisoners and a couple of machine guns. I sent home a German sword.

"But we were not satisfied with one trench we went on and took two more lines of them. They shelled us the whole day after we took them and they event sent loads of gas but we stuck on for what we had so dearly won.

"I was to be recommended for the DCM for fetching in wounded under fire but the officer that took my name was killed shortly afterwards and I do not know how it will go now but I was promoted on the field by our own officer to Corporal.

"I was buried three times by shells and had to be dug out and I got a slight bullet wound in the thigh but I am out of hospital again and expect to go into action in a couple of day‚s time. The battle took place on 16th June. It was even worse than the charge we made at Hill 60. The Germans lost a good deal more than we did. The Brigade officer says the Rifles have made a name for themselves out here that will go down in history. All the English Regiments out here are very fond of the Rifles since we came out of the charge.

July 30, 1915

Desmond,

If it is 16 June 1915 (and not 1916, for you wrote both), then it is the First Attack on of Bellewaarde indeed. (Not to be confused with the Attack on Bellewaarde, 3 weeks before), and the Second Attack on Bellewaarde (25 Sept. 1915)

Dramatic for the 7th (in which 2/RIR) and 9th Brigades.

I'll contact you off Forum.

Aurel

• 1 month later...

Des,

Will you please say where this comes from.

Jimmy.

• 5 months later...

Bringing this one back to the top in that I recently picked up a BWM to the KIA Royal Irish Rifles man below, and in searching the Forum, I found that Des had posted the great account above from an actual participant (Cpl Platt) in that day's action:

Name: WINSTANLEY, WILLIAM

Initials: W

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 16/06/1915

Service No: 1265

Additional information: Son of William Winstanley, of 331, Hale Barns, Altrincham, Cheshire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 40

Cemetery: YPRES (MENIN GATE) MEMORIAL

Thanks Des!

Chris :)

Chris

I think we can do even better. I take it you would like photos of William's name on the Memorials. Yep, he's on two - Hale and Hale Barns. Both only a few minutes away.

There's also a Gerald Winstanley who I bet was a cousin (KIA with 16th Manchesters - so you'll be able to see his story from your Pals book).

Regards from a very wet north west England. Jan says hello as well.

John

Does anyone know which German Units were facing them?

Thanks

Chris

Does anyone know which German Units were facing them?

Thanks

Chris

XXVII Reserve Corps

246th and 248th Reserve Regiments

XV Reserve corps (south of them, Menin Road)

132nd Regiment

(I'm not sure if there were other regiments beside these, but I know that prisoners of 246 and 248 RR, and 132 R were taken)

Aurel

Thanks everyone.

John H--photos of the Memorials would be fantastic! The thought had occurred to me to check with you and see if Winstanley was from your area. I'll be sure to search out Gerald in the Man. Pals book.

Will e-mail you off-Forum, my best to Janet--hope you are both doing well.

Chris

Maybe of interest.

The book ' There's a Devil in the Drum' written by JF Lucy covers many of the early actions of the 2nd Battalion Royal Irish Rifles. The chap who was a sergeant with the Battalion wrote the book in the 1930's, but its been reprinted by The Naval & Military Press.

Spud.