Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Inf. requested

Mick D

Hello all,

I've obtained a couple of documents that relate to a WW1 nurse (I think) but am struggling to read the writing.

I have a form indicating the isssue of a WAR BADGE, to the named person, with a number and what looks like the initials L M A A C. I assume that the last four are in fact W A A C, but I'll post the scan to confirm this.

I've also got her identification certificate, but again the handwriting is a struggle to read. Under the section of 'Station' it shows D.F.D. (?) Folkestone. Any ideas what this was ? again I'll post a scan.

Mick

Hi Mick,

WAAC became Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps 1918-1920 Served with Royal Engineers Signals and Postal Units

Regards Barry

It's the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps.

This from the National Archives:

"...in 1916 following the heavy losses on the Western Front...new voluntary services were founded as a response to this. One of these was the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps or WAAC (founded in 1917). The WAAC was divided into four sections: Cookery; Mechanical; Clerical and Miscellaneous. Most stayed on the Home Front but around 9,000 served in France. The women in the WAAC did not have full military status. They enrolled, they did not enlist, and breaches of discipline were dealt with by civil, not military, courts. The grades (ranks) were divided into Controllers and Administrators (the officers) and Members (the other ranks). Within the Members there were forewomen (sergeants), assistant forewomen (corporals) and workers (privates). Rates of pay were determined by the type of work. So for example, a shorthand typist was paid more than a kitchen assistant. But a woman in the WAAC was still paid less than a man in the Army who was doing the same work. The WAAC uniform and accommodation were provided free but there was a weekly charge of 12/6 (12 shillings and sixpence) for food. It was renamed the Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps (QMAAC) in April 1918. And when the Royal Air Force (RAF) was created in 1918 a number of WAAC volunteers entered the Women's Royal Air Force (WRAF). The Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps disbanded in September 1921. These records are held in the series WO 398. Previously they had only been available at The National Archives."

I should imagine that a Silver War Badge (for that is what the slip is for) is quite rare to a woman and a WAAC in particular. Can't quite read the name, but the service records for WAAC personnel can be searched online.

Thanks for the replies, I've actually searched the archieves but drew a blank.

I'll search again as my experience of the searching is very erratic !

Mick

that would make sense then, it reads Q M A A C, as Barry stated above,

still no luck on the letters before Folkestone !

Mick