Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Women's Army Auxiliary Corps

agedpink

Anyone got any information on the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps or any ideas where I can get information.

What do you want to know? Information itself is fairly limited from one particular source, however pooling information from a large number of sources both on the internet and in various publications can give a good knowledge of this interesting organisation

I'M a real begginner! I know nothing about this organisation what did they do, how did they recruit etc

aged

This may help to get you started. Information provided by the WRAC Association some years ago.

Recruitment for the WAAC (Women's Army Auxiliary Corps) commenced in February 1917 and an Army Council Instruction governing the employment of the women was published on 28th March 1917. I understand that non-transport members of the Women's Legion were transfered to the WAAC. Queen Mary took an interest in the Corps and it was renamed Queen Mary's Army Auxiliary Corps (QMAAC) on 9th April 1918.

The first draft of WAAC, consisting of 14 cooks and waitresses for the officer's club at Abbeville, arrived in France on 31st March 1917. Generally 'Workers', as they were titled, were employed as cooks, cleaners, typists, clerks etc. Other ranks included - Forewoman - Assistant Administrator - Administrator - Controller - Chief Controller.

They were in fact the model for the Second World War, Auxiliary Territorial Service later the Women's Royal Army Corps

Hope this helps.

Tony

Thanks Tony that's given me a good start!

Hi aged

If you just type WAAC on Google you'll get more information than you can handle. Royal Engineers site is also very good.

Regards Barry

Thanks i will do that!