Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Grave Photo Request in France

BottsGreys

This may be an out-of-the-way or seldom-visited location, but if any Pal is familiar with the area and is in the vicinity of Vendelles, I would be most grateful if you could procure a photo of an Australian who is buried near the ruined church.

Cemetery Details (Per CWGC):

Vendelles is a village and commune in the Department of the Aisne, three miles North-West of Maissemy. The Church was destroyed in the War. The Churchyard contains, near the South-West corner, the graves of five soldiers of the 59th Division who died in March and April, 1917, and, between the site of the Church and the South boundary, that of one Australian soldier who died in September, 1918.

I am looking to get a photo closeup of the Australian's entire grave, as well as one of the churchyard area immediately surrounding his grave. He is:

Sjt. Henry Norman Fisher

No. 134

4th Australian Pioneers

KIA 18/09/18

In case anyone is interested, the other 5 CWGC burials at the church are:

Pte. A. Platts 202810, 2nd/5th Bn,South Staffordshire Regt. Died 12/04/17

Pte. R. King 267803, 2nd/7th Bn,Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) Died 04/04/17

LCpl. Harry Barratt 305930, 2nd/8th Bn, Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) Died 31/03/17.

Pte. W.C.J. Brabant 307266, 2nd/8th Bn, Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) Died

31/03/17.

Pte. G.T. Getley 306180, 2nd/8th Bn, Sherwood Foresters (Notts & Derby) Died

02/04/17.

Thanks so much for any consideration of my request,

Chris

Guest Johnsonm

Chris

Will be going to the Aisne hopefully in May and will call in at Vendelles and get a picture . Dont think I can get there before ,

Maurice

Maurice,

Many, many thanks for your kind consideration of my request. I have one other Pal who is willing, but doesn't know at exactly what point in the future he will be traveling to the Aisne area. I will notify either you or him if the other travels there first. Will this be okay?

Chris