Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Herbert Charles Theobald

Guest HelenCP

I know that my great grandfather, Herbert Charles Theobald (2675/A437648) was a CSM in the Expeditionary Forces Canteens.

Herbert was born in 1880 in London and was married with 2 children and living in Luton when he was conscripted in October 1916 aged 38. From his letters written in 1918 and 1919 it is clear that he was been ill and family stories state that he suffered from the effects of gas twice. I have no idea where he served during the war but letters dated 1919 were written from Lille.

Herbert survived the war, but being unable to secure a permanent job after the war, allegedly because of the gas attacks he had suffered, he disappeared from the family home in 1926 and was never seen again by his loved ones.

I have a copy of the medal roll, indeed I have his medals and discharge papers, he was discharged in June 1919, but I have no idea where he served or how I can find any war diaries, there is no listing for the EFC on the National Archive War Diary listing.

My son is due to visit the WW1 battlefields next year and I would love to be able to make the trip more memorable for him by knowing where Herbert would have been serving.

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

Helen

Helen

I searched the National Archives catalogue for entries for "Expeditionary Forces Canteen" and then WO in the bottom box. I got three hits,the first one WO32/5087 covers the institution of these facilities from 1914-15. The other two hits are post- Great War and may not be much use to you in determining where your GGF served,but take a look anyway,one of them is the act of closing them down.

Sotonmate

Helen

hello and welcome to the forum.

Don't know if it helps but I'm fairly sure the EFC members were part of the Army Service Corps. An expert on here may be able to pin down the units that were in Lille in 1919. As you probably know they went on to become the NAFFI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy,_Army_an...orce_Institutes

regards and good luck with your search.

David

Helen

Another hit, on WO329/2370, which is the RASC Canteens Section original Medal Rolls. It MIGHT be possible that there is a clue on page 30342 (as per MIC reference) which leads to a unit or Divisional attachment.

Sotonmate