Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Units

Guest P Neville

Guest P Neville

Background

Two of my relatives (brothers) enlisted at the same time in mid December, before the Derby Scheme closed. One appears to have gone to the 6th Bedfordshires first and then the 7th Northamptonshires. The other went first to 10th Bedfordshires and then the 7th Northamptonshire. The have consecutive for the Northamptonshires and 130 apart in the Bedfordshireds.

Questions

1. Is it possible medal rolls at PRO could be wrong and they were both in the 10th Bedfordshires (reserve battalion)

2. How can i tell when they moved regiments

3. I thought they would have been called up in early 1916 under the Derby scheme but the Training reserve did not start as i understand until 1/916 seems at odds.

4. Is it probable they would have followed each other or would they have requested it?

5. One of the brothers ended the war in the 52nd Welsh but his medal has details of the Bedfordshires. This confuses me and can any one make sense of it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

For what it is worth, men were still being called up until June 1916 under the Derby Scheme, in parallel with those who were conscripted from March of the same year.

Terry Reeves

As regards to Question 1., these rolls were compiled by human beings and so do contain a few mistakes. I recommend anyone new to researching to cheque as many souses as possible to help confirm your findings.

Generally speaking you will not find out when they were posted...you have to hope their service records have survived.

Yes, mistakes were made. I have lists of men who served in 6, 7, 8 battalions but often their last Bn listed differs from CWGC.

It is possible that they could have requested a move to be together. It was a time-honoured army tradition that an older brother could claim his sibling.

Rob

What were their names, numbers and where did they come from? I have done some research on the numbers of the Beds Rgt and may be able to assist.

The 10th Battalion Transferred to the Training Reserve and was re designated 27th Training Reserve Battalion, September 1916. It became a Young Soldiers Training Reserve Battalion in Early 1917, then returned to the Bedfordshire Rgt as the 53rd Battalion in early 1918.

So in theory the 10th Battalion did not exist in December 1916.

The 52nd Welsh was formed on 27th October 1917 and remained in the UK for the duration of the war, which brother was in this unit?

Did the other brother remain in the Northamptons ? what unit do his medals show? It is common for medals to indicate the first unit rather than the last served in.

Best wishes.

John.

Could someone explain: what was the Derby scheme mentioned earlier?

Roy

Roy

The Derby Scheme was a last attempt at voluntary recruitment. It was started in the last week of October 1915 under the Director-General of Recruiting, Lord Derby. Under the scheme all men between the ages 18 & 40 were personally canvassed to see if they would be willing to attest for service when required. They were placed into numbered groups according to age and marital status. Prime-Minister Asquith pledged that single men would be called forward first, to allay the fears of married men who were worried about their families.

The scheme was organised locally under the aegis of the Local Government board and the National Register of all men who were of military age, compiled in August 1915, was used to carry out the canvass. Local Tribunals were set up to attest men who came forward and they could also apply to this tribunal to have their call-up deferred on the grounds of essential work or personal hardship. The scheme finished in the second week of December 1916. Some 316, 000 single men were found to be eligble for service, but a comparison with the National Register showed many tens of thousands of men had failed to come forward. This left the door open for conscription in 1916.

Terry Reeves

Thanks Terry,

I have been wondering why my GF enlisted on 11th December ’15 at the age of 23, before conscription was introduced in '16 and when he had not done so in the initial surge in late ’14.This may well have been the reason.

Roy