Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals

Barrett

greetings gentlemen......I have what I think might be a possible candidate for submission. I recently purchased a medal trio (1914 star, B.W.M., V.M.) from dealer in the U.K. awarded to Pte. George Frost #4720 of the 3rd Rifle Brigade. The medals came with copies of M.I.C. card and medal roll index. The M.I.C. states simply that 3rd battalion went to France on 10-09-14 and that Frost was "killed in action". The medal roll index confirms his entitlement to above listed medals but gives no other details regarding his death. I, along with several others on this site, have checked for his name on CW graves to no avail. Nor could his name be found on SDGW or overseas death index's. Many thanks in advance for any who can shed light on further information regarding location/burial of Pte. Frost.

Seeing as you can't find his name in any of the three sources for finding a fatality, I think you would have to conclude that he was not killed in action and that the MIC is simply wrong.

You might want to check the medal roll at Kew to see what that says.

John

No mention on the 1914 Star roll of this, looks like he could have been injured or been ill at sometime though as 2 mentions of the 3rd RB on his BWM/VM Roll.

Andy

post-1871-1227484194.jpg

post-1871-1227484225.jpg

The 1914 Star roll (the upper of the 2 posted by Stiletto) appears to have been thorough and comprehensive recording the relevent details for the battalion (KIA, commissioned etc). The B.W.M. & V.M (the lower of the 2 posted by Stiletto) shows that he remained in the same battalion for all his service, so one would expect their detailed records like the medal rolls to be accurate. I'd suggest there was a mistake on the MIC.

If there is no death certificate or any other record apart from the MIC to state whether he died there is no way the CWGC will accept him as a non-commemoration.

Mick

I suggest that we ALL do our thing now and try and find an official reference to this mans war service or his death. At least he's in the right place now...

Unfortuately the 3rd RB's war diary is not exactly personnel friendly so no help there. I can find no record of him in Ancestry.

Andy

No record in GRO for overseas deaths.

Andy

Hi Mick,

Ahhhhhhh the beauty of multiple threads re one subject.

Andy