Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Ypres Today - Bloody cold

stiletto_33853

Lots of white stuff swirling around today, damn cold but pretty.

Bedford House Cemetery, enclosure #4

post-1871-1227478588.jpg

Andy thanks for posting the pics

hope you took yer thermals also hope it isnt like this for the retirement bash in March

bet you warmed up with a few glasses of passendale ale lucky sod

Tafski

Hi Taf,

You can bet your boots that I had my thermals on, unfortunately though Jon could not find his so froze his preverbials off, he did look cold and ran down the track to Gwalia Cemetery, from there I think it took him all the way to Dunkerque to thaw out.

This was the main motorway from Ypres to the Channel Ports.

Andy

post-1871-1227479671.jpg

Nice pics Andy. Never seen Oxford Road looking like that, but then I usually visit in October.

Hi Scottie,

The main road was a bit dodgy in places, the front of the car tried to go in a different direction a couple of times, however some of the back roads were very slippery. When coming off the road to Langemark to visit Oxford Road the front went and then the rear tried to follow the front, everything was fine though, but not a day to visit some of the more remote areas.

Ian,

Oxford Road was very pretty in these conditions.

Andy

Chantal went to Dunkirk yesterday a.m.& came back this afternoon.

Snow on the way & on the way back but,she said the autoroute was pretty clear.

Andy

Nice to see these cemeteries in all types of weather.

As a matter of interest, in the lower right hand corner of the first photo of Oxford House Cemetery there appears to be a blank flat topped headstone. Any ideas what it is?

Chris

Doesn't a blank headstone mean it's a massgrave? (Which is also indicated by the other two headstones placed shoulder to shoulder)

Roel

• Admin

The headstone you are referring to is a German stone. Great photographs Andy- I hope that you weren't driving in that autoroute pic!

Michelle

Great pictures Andy......and I always thought you wore your shorts on every trip :P

Andy

Hi Andy,

Need to catch up with you a bit, been a very busy boy lately with work.

Most definetely no shorts on this trip, too damn cold. I think you must be mistaking me with knees out Jon though, I do not don shorts very often, don't want to frighten the public away from the battlefronts :D

Andy

To think they had to man the parpet in a trench and in weather like that...I take my hat off to them (again).

Bernard

That blasted road's bad enough in good conditions. Nice pictures. Good to see Mods do get time off for good behaviour. :lol:

You'd never catch me wearing shorts.......

Michelle

Didn't occur to me that it might be a German headstone. The CWGC cemetery description didn't mention any German burials and when I checked the plan it looked like the grave was Plot 1 Row E Grave 1. There was no reference to this grave.

I think the two graves to the right are unknowns, possibly NZ.

The website of the German war graves commission doesn't mention a burial at Oxford Road...

Roel

• Admin

I haven't been to Oxford road for years (sadly) but the stone is the shape that you see in some cemeteries for a German burial, so I assumed it was one. The mass burials are normally the standard CWGC stone, with a large cross. perhaps Terry D ought to come in on this one?

Michelle

There are two German burials on Oxford Road under the same headstone.

The two German soldiers are Otto Henze +04/10/1917 and Franz Berlin +05/10/1917, both of the I.R. 92. This was a unit from Braunschweig. This unit participated in 3rd Ypres as part of the 20th German Division.

Thanks Andy for refering me to the thread.

The photographs of the graves look beautiful in all that snow.

May I have permission to use them to makes some cards with.

I will understand if the answer is that you would prefer me not to.

Sandy

Sandy,

You are more than welcome to use the picures to make some cards with should you wish to. If you need the full size pictures without sizing limitations let me know and I will e-mail them over to you.

Andy