Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Riding Regt

mangybendytoy

Hi,

I am searching for information about my Gt Grandfather Joseph Warne, it appears that he was a member of the West Riding Regt. but transfered to the Royal Fusiliers before he was killed in October 1918.

I have received some very good info on the RF side of things but no nothing of the West Riding part of his war.

According to his MIC he seems to have had two numbers, X12789 and/or 12793, does anybody have any ideas?

Why and when did he transfer to the RF?

Thanks for any information.

Here's his details from SDGW

Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-1919

Name: Joseph WARNE

Regiment, Corps etc.: Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

Battalion etc.: 24th Battalion.

Raised in London by E. Cunliffe-Owen on 20.11.14. June 1915 to Clipstone Camp, Notts. in 99th Bde. 33rd Div. 1.7.15 taken over by the War Office. Nov. 1915 landed at Boulogne. 25.11.15 99th Bde. to 2nd Div. 13.12.15 to 5th Bde. 2nd Div. 11.11.18 5th Bde. 2nd Div. France; north of Le Quesnoy.

Last name: Warne

First name(s): Joseph

Initials: J

Birthplace:

Enlisted: Derby

Residence: Northowram, Halifax

Number: G/93091

Date died: 3 October 1918

How died: Killed in action

Theatre of war: France & Flanders

Supplementary Notes: FORMERLY 12789, WEST RIDING REGT.

Ellie

Hi,

His MIC on Ancestry gives West Riding Regt 12793 and 24th Bn R.F 93091, CWGC Anneux Brit. Cemetery III C 35

Regards Barry

Hi All

I missed the X12789 when first viewing on Ancestry which doesn't list it on the transcription. I don't know if any of you amend the incorrect details, BUT YOU CAN. Just type in the same name but leave a space after the first letter ie J oseph, then type whatever you want in the box. The Ancestry software will flag it up as an alternate name but at least anyone searching finds out the information without having to search for hours.This is very handy when searching through Attestation Papers and finding another soldier's details in the middle!!! I've amended Joseph Warne's entry.

Regards Barry

Looking at his MIC it looks like it was officially corrected the "x" refers to the number which would have been impressed into the medal rims along with West Riding Regiment as he served with them as first unit overseas. so it should read 12789.

Ady