Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte 375683 William Mc[Mac]Donald, Royal Scots

Lost in Tilloy

Hello

I would like to put forward the following man as a possible non-comm

I should say at the outset that this man possibly falls into Terry’s second category: someone who died after the war from the effects of a disease caught or wound sustained during the war.

The basic story so far is:

I was asked to research a Great War memorial in Davidson’s Mains Parish Church Edinburgh [called Cramond United Free Church during the Great War]. On the memorial there is listed a man simply known as ‘Wm-MacDonald-RS.’

I searched through the CWGC site, the Scottish National War Memorial and the SDGW CD-Rom but failed to find a William MacDonald [or McDonald] of the Royal Scots who had a Cramond, Davidson’s Mains, Blackhall or Granton connection [all these areas were under Cramond Parish at the time].

To cut a long story short, when I was last at Kew I had a look through the William MacDonald files and stumbled upon the following man who was discharged after the war but died in June 1919. He appears in some records as McDonald and others as MacDonald. From the service records [WO 363/M/508 beginning at image 0033] that exist I have gleaned the following details:

William MacDonald, Private 375683 [previously 4718, then either 3377 or 3344 or 3374] initially of the 1/10th Royal Scots. Born in Liverpool and enlisted 12/09/1916 at Linlithgow. Medically examined at Glencorse and was 37 years and 289 days old at the time. Address: C/O Gilbert, Belford, Davidson’s Mains. Prior to the war he was a Tea Packer with the Melrose Coy, 93 George Street, Edinburgh. Served with BEF 15/07/1917 to 6/10/1918. Awarded BWM & VM.

Casualty Form & Active Service form indicates he was with the 1/10th Royal Scots from 9/10/1916 until 15/07/1917. He was transferred to the 16th Royal Scots on the latter date. Joined 5/6th Royal Scots 3/8/1917. He may have been wounded on 22/11/1917 but the form is difficult to read. He rejoined his unit Dec 1917. Wounded in action 1/10/1918 whilst with 5/6th Royal Scots. He had received a gunshot wound to head. Treated in hospitals in Coventry, Warwickshire County 6/10/1918 then New?? Paddo? Hospital Luttenwor?, Leicester 6/11/1918.

There is a medical form that has the stamp of Edgbaston Hospital on it and it states ‘Sharp G.S.W. of head. Concussion no fracture. Flesh severe. Much headache and giddiness. Nov 18th, improving [but?] still complains of pains when he wakens in the morning. Discharge fit for Command Depot.’ 25/11/1918.

Joined 3/4th Royal Scots 21/12/1918. The service papers that exist contain a medical examination conducted on 18/01/1919 in Cupar whilst William MacDonald is still serving in the 3/4th Reserve Royal Scots. The diagnosis of the examination is a bit blurred but under ‘Each Disability claimed or discovered it sates’ it says ‘I3 G.S.W. Head with fracture of skull with depression.’ Under the section called ‘The present condition thereof’ it states ‘Depression R.Side of [cor?]tex. Complains of severe headaches and a constant feeling of pressure on head.’ The medical examiner states that William MacDonald is only 50% fit and should be examined again in 6 months.

Transferred to Class ‘Z’ 7/03/1919. Died at home [belford, Davidson’s Mains] on 17/06/1919 and according to death certificate at Register House in Edinburgh this was due to acute pneumonia, malaria and meningitis. Only relative mentioned was his sister; a Miss G MacDonald of the same address.

Appreciate thoughts on this case.

Regards

LIT

Well done for finding him :D

On the face of what you state above there seems a good possibility you have found yourself a REAL genuine non-com. I will PM you now. I can guide you through the process...

All the best.

Neil