Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Riding Regt experts please.

keithmroberts

I would very much appreciate it if one of the West Riding experts can help me here by confirming whether either of these two men can be placed in specific battalions by their regimental numbers.

The first was my grandfather Pte A Roberts no 30149 who was transferred into the Dukes from the ASC after his conscription in 1917.

No 2 is Pte Ralph B Hutton no 30149

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Pte Ralph B Hutton no 30149

Keith can you confirm his number is 307098 Its a TF number probably 7th West Ridings and probably 2nd Line.

Ironduke maybe able to confirm.?..He was entitled to Brit War and Victory Medal his MIC is on Ancestry

The only place for a definate answer if his SR doesnt survive would be the Kew Rolls.

The other lad again unconfirmed suggests from number crunching on casualties with similar numbers on SDGW 10th West Ridings.

Again medal Rolls will confirm.

Ady

Ady

Thanks for your help.

Yes those are the numbers. I have taken copies of the MICS, but of course they don't help. As yet Ancestry have not produced a record for Ralph B Hutton, and I am not holding out too much hope for my grandfathers records when the later part of the alphabet is eventually posted, in view of the fire damage. My neither man ended up with a SWB, so pension records seem unlikely to help.

My grandfather would have been close to the upper age limit for conscription and the only surviving memories available are that he spent some time in Boulogne, and that he had a connection with intelligence. In civilian life he was an accounts clerk in the textile industry, so I surmised that he might have been an orderly or clerk to an officer with some intelligence roll, perhaps a battalion intelligence officer.

I suppose I will have to follow your advice and head to Kew to make certain. There's a West Yorkshire Reg issue that I need to resolve as well, so I think the day is looming.

Keith

Hello Keith,

As Ady says 307098 is a TF number allocated to 7th West Ridings.

Re-number Rank Name Initials Comments

307098 Pte Hutton Ralph Boyd Died 11.1.1918

Regards

Ron

thanks Ron

It looks as if I will have an interest in the 7th Dukes as well. This man was related to my brother in law. I will try to find out more about him.

Keith

Born Idle,Enlisted Shipley,Resident Bradford...Have you been in touch with Bradford Local History section at the Central Library he may be in Gallant Heroes system?

Ady

Born Idle,Enlisted Shipley,Resident Bradford...Have you been in touch with Bradford Local History section at the Central Library he may be in Gallant Heroes system?

Ady

I plan a visit to the Bradford reference section in January on my next trip back to my home town, as I have several items to check so I won't hassle the very helpful staff there with my list of several queries about various soldiers. I never seem to get to the end of my list; much worse since I broadened my investigations into wider family history. I can't remember whether I looked for him in the card index on my last visit, but I certainly will do next time. I have posted on the 7th Dukes Thread about his home address.

Thanks for your help - especially in view of my inability to transcibe a number accurately.

Keith